News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Replacement nut for T-8

Started by jimwillsher, August 21, 2023, 07:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimwillsher

Hi all

I'm finding myself having to frequently remove the stone wheel on my T8 Black, in order to access the composite wheel; most of my sharpening is with long knives. To remove the nut on the stone wheel I'm having to use a monkey wrench, it's simply so tight that I cannot budge it. This is after making it only finger-tight when putting the wheel on.

So...am I doing something wrong? Is there a better wheel I can buy that's more "knurled" ?

Many thanks

Jim

cbwx34

Quote from: jimwillsher on August 21, 2023, 07:49:54 PMHi all

I'm finding myself having to frequently remove the stone wheel on my T8 Black, in order to access the composite wheel; most of my sharpening is with long knives. To remove the nut on the stone wheel I'm having to use a monkey wrench, it's simply so tight that I cannot budge it. This is after making it only finger-tight when putting the wheel on.

So...am I doing something wrong? Is there a better wheel I can buy that's more "knurled" ?

Many thanks

Jim

Are you turning the wheel to loosen it?

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Jim,

The stuck EZYlock nut issue has come up occasionally over the years. During a recent episode, I contacted support (support@tormek.se). Support provided a very thorough report. During testing, they were able to get the EZYlock to fail (lock up) WHEN THERE WAS NO GREASE ON THE INNER FACE OF THE SPACER. That is the spacer which gives the grinding wheel clearance to spin. The inner face faces away from the grinding wheel. During their tests, if a thin coating of grease was on the face of the spacer, the EZYlock never failed. Part of our Tormek EDC (everyday carry) kit should be a small dedicated tube of white lithium grease.

The other problem which support found was overtightening when one relied on the motor to automatically tighten the nut. Better to gently hand tighten it.

I generally remove the grinding wheel after each sharpening session.  Don't believe this is necessary; it's just a habit. Loosening and retightening the the EZYlock eliminates any residual overtightening.

Keep the Channelocks in another room.  :)

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Interesting thoughts Ken. I uploaded a video with three tips, one of which is putting a tiny smear of never-sneeze on the shaft which will definitely help in this instance.

https://youtu.be/RoR0KjlfKfU

Skip to the "Shaft Lubrication chapter if you cannot be bothered with the whole video.

Ken S

Good video, John. I watched the whole thing, as well as his two other tip videos for Tormek.
Just a small point: I wish he had lubricated the inner face of the spacer while he was cleaning and lubing the shaft.
Ken