News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Did i get the wrong machine?

Started by Justin, June 02, 2008, 12:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Hi, i'm new to this forum and Tormek. I always like it when a manufactuer has community support. But i have got a problem that maybe someone here can help me with.
I bought a new Tormek 1200+grading stone/knife jig i couple of days ago. I got this to sharpen knives and decided to buy the cheapest tool from the best company, rather than higher spec but lower price and quality "copycat" company.
But i ran into problems almost sraight away.

I found very quickly that i got much bettter result grinding away from the edge rather the suggested method, but found that when grinding a large-ish 8" chefs knife the clamping knob catches on the threaded part of the universal support.

When honing an edge i cannot measure the correct angle because the honing wheel is to small for the wm-200. Sometimes (most) i want to hone only the edge and nothing more.

If i try to get angle by eye, the knife and/or jig catchs on the horizontal support clamp (locking knob closest to the honing wheel)

There are a few other things but these are the main problems that actually prevent me from using the machine, don't get me wrong i can tell i'm hanging with the big boys when using the Tormek. I really had hoped this would take the guess work out from alot of my sharpening needs but seems to have generated a few others.

Ok this is a long enough post, and is boring me let alone you guys.
Any help/advice specifics greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Justin.