News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek supergrind machines

Started by Sir Amwell, June 04, 2023, 10:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Amwell

Think this might be one for you Ken. I'm looking into getting a used Tormek supergrind and was wondering if it would be possible to use new honing wheels and grinding wheels on these older machines. There is a chance I can get one for a good deal and would consider it if I can upgrade it with new version wheels and usbs?

Ken S

Sir Amwell,

One of the hallmarks of Tormek is "no Tormek left behind". The 250 mm wheel diameter models, even much earlier than the Super Grind, can all use the current grinding wheels and honing wheels. (The same applies with the 200 mm wheel diameter models such as the T3 and T4.) Likewise with replacement parts and things like the usbs.

My one caution would be to mind the cost of the older machine. The used Tormek has always been very strong. The one thing almost all used Tormeks do not have is the ironclad 5+3 year warranty. One can easily invest several hundred dollars in upgrading. An upgraded Super Grind most likely has years of good service; just don't pay too much for it.

Ken

Jam3s

Agree with Ken here, I just bought a 2000 and worked it out if I upgraded everything would only work out £70 cheaper than buying a new unit.

Things to check when buying second I have found:
- check the bearing and shaft by seeing if the stone runs true and straight
-- if you need a new shaft the wheel can be corroded to shaft so could require a new wheel.
- check the drive wheel to see if cracked. Seems that others complain of the wheel being cracked from the center
-check the paint. Seems that the older units had poor paint that chips off after rust
- inspect the drive wheel condition looking for cracks chips and if can be removed
- check the tool holder as bushings were worn through on mine causing tool holder not to be straight and corrosion on the universal support

Ken S

Jeff Farris, who founded this forum in 2003, wrote a series of short articles on his website, SharptoolsUSA. One article compared the cost of an older used Tormek with a new one. Jeff wrote about the cost of updating an older model and not having the new warranty. His conclusion was that rehab costs could easily reach the cost of a new model.

Tread cautiously. There are a few bargains and many less than bargains.

ken

Sir Amwell

Thanks for the advice.
Don't worry,I will be cautious if I come across an apparent bargain!