News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing wheel wobble

Started by flyer, December 22, 2007, 07:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyer

Just purchased a T7.  Is it normal for the honing wheel to have a wobble?
Larry

Jeff Farris

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I'm kind of computer illiterate, and got locked out of my own house!  ;D

Some side to side movement of the honing wheel is normal.  Make sure that you have the three pins in the honing wheel indexed properly into the three holes of the drive wheel.  Inspect the honing wheel and the drive wheel carefully for damage.  
Jeff Farris

rctaylor

Regarding Honing Wheel Wobble.

I am a new owner/user of a Tormek 2000.  I purchased a store "demo" from the local woodworking store.
I noticed wobble when I first used the machine and looked on this forum for specifications and possible solutions.  
I found the "spec" of approximately 1 mm as being acceptable and the wobble on my machine was at least twice that.
I loosened the wheel mounting nut and the wobble was less so I finally took the wheel off and found a problem.
The washer between the axle shoulder and the drive wheel was not flat.
Not knowing the "history" of this machine makes it unfair to place  blame but replacing the washer with a machined flat washer totally eliminated the problem on this machine.
Check your washer.  It might help.

Jeff Farris

Note:  RC is discussing stone run out, not honing wheel run out.  Not sure how old the "demo" was, but the machines have been supplied with stainless steel precision washers for some time now.
Jeff Farris

rctaylor

I'm new at this so maybe I was not as clear as I should have been on the explanation of the wobble problem.
I was indeed talking about honing wheel wobble.
The washer I referred to is the washer between the shoulder of the axle and the drive wheel which "drives" the honing wheel.
According to the parts view and list for the Model 2000 on the Sharptool website, the washer is number 30 and, at least on my machine, is not stainless.  It appears to be a stamped washer and there was a problem in stamping making it not flat.  The replacement part cost of .20 also would lead me to believe that a replacement would not be stainless either.
The washers on the sides of the wheel are stainless.  I checked.
I was told the machine was "current" up until the Model T-7 came out so it is not that old.
The discussions and information on this forum are an incredible resource.

Jeff Farris

Sorry, RC.  I've not seen many problems with that particular washer, and you're right, it is not stainless.
Jeff Farris