News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek stand for use in sitting down position

Started by Nico, May 23, 2023, 09:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

I currently use my T8 in a standing position. It's located on my workbench in my workshop, but because the bench is high, I use an old palette (approx 220mm high) to stand on while using it.

But it's a fatiguing work position and doesn't feel right. It seems I am always bending my back and leaning too far over the machine. So I am looking into making a low stand which allows me to sharpen in the siting down position. The esteemed (sadly departed) Wootz is often seen sharpening sitting down in his videos, I'd also like to try that position.

I know everyone is different, and I will certainly experiment for myself, but to get me started, I'd like to ask the community members who sharpen sitting down, what stand height works best for them? Foot stools or 5 gallon plastic buckets have been mentioned but I'm curious to learn more.

RickKrung

Consider working from the front of the machine rather than the rear.  I means bending your arms to hold tools/jigs on the vertical (rear) USB but it works for me.  Looks awkward but I find it quite comfortable.  I work at a standard height (30") folding table and sit on a standard height chair.  I  once had the rotating table, but dispensed with it as I never turn the machine around. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Nico

Thanks... I will try that position next time.
I have the rotating table and I use it every time, as I grind edge leading and hone edge trailing, and I'm doing both from in front of the machine. Maybe I can do both from the same position without rotating the machine.

WimSpi

Based on Wootz's videos, I estimated the height because I also like to work sitting down. With experimentation, I have now reached a height I like. It may not be my final height yet, but now my top height is 34 cm.  This is where my Tormek stands. There is a relationship with your own length. I myself am small (167 cm).