News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife angle confusion! Please set me straight

Started by Nghtrdr, May 02, 2023, 11:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nghtrdr

Good day!

I have been learning to sharpen kitchen knives now since I ran out of chisels to grind on. I have several older (20+yrs) JA Henckle (now called Zwilling) pro S knives that have been ground on by a so called professional many, many years ago. Let's just say I never went back to them as the honing steel did a better job. These knives were recently replaced and I have been wanting to fix them for a very long time now and pass them on to my daughter. In my last visit to her home I needed a knive and found her Walmart "special" knives to be very dull, thin, and dangerous! This was part of my reasoning behind the T8 purchase.
I managed to find info on the knife angle on their site and it states these are set to 18*. I sharpened one of the chef knives to this angle on both sides but it's not the same as my new Zwilling Pro chef knives. The edge seems to be deeper vs the shallower angle of the new set. I am worried the edge won't last for her. If it was for me it wouldn't be an issue, just sharpen it again on the T8 but with her being on the other side of the country it's not ideal! I have watched, read and found some to say set the angle to 22*, 20*, 15* for standard kitchen knives.

I know ultimately that the abgle is not so important for most. I would like to choose an angle that is both sharp and durable.

Can someone shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks

Sir Amwell

I think for a ZWILLING Henckels that 15 degrees per side will be fine even though some might say that 20 degrees per side for that sort of steel gives a more robust edge. Anywhere in between will be fine too!
Maybe some basic lessons in knife care for your daughter would be more important than the edge geometry?

Nghtrdr

Quote from: Sir Amwell on May 03, 2023, 12:19:26 AMI think for a ZWILLING Henckels that 15 degrees per side will be fine even though some might say that 20 degrees per side for that sort of steel gives a more robust edge. Anywhere in between will be fine too!
Maybe some basic lessons in knife care for your daughter would be more important than the edge geometry?

Ok so the 18* should be just fine. As for learning some basic knife care. Not going to happen. Lol she is as stubborn as I am and as such will learn on her own. She is easily flustered as well. I am sure she will let me know when it is dull. Hopefully it lasts a good while!
I will however suggest a vid or two on honing steel usage!

Thanks for your reply

Ken S

I purchased the same knives thirty years ago. I agree with Sir Amwell.  I have always used 15° per side.
My  old Henckels have good steel; 15° per side works fine.

Ken

Nghtrdr

Quote from: Ken S on May 03, 2023, 01:52:45 AMI purchased the same knives thirty years ago. I agree with Sir Amwell.  I have always used 15° per side.
My  old Henckels have good steel; 15° per side works fine.

Ken

Thanks for the reply