News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather honing wheel seam too deep! Help needed.

Started by Nghtrdr, April 26, 2023, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nghtrdr

Hi everyone!
Yesterday I spent several hours learning my new T8 sharpening some old chisels. I noticed the leather wheels seam is very deep and when honing the blades I am using drop into this dip with a very pronounced thud. I noticed this is causing issues and my blades are not as sharp as hand stopping. When the tip of the blade drops into the seam this tips the blade forward which to me is killing the edge by folding it.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

cbwx34

Quote from: Nghtrdr on April 26, 2023, 04:31:01 PMHi everyone!
Yesterday I spent several hours learning my new T8 sharpening some old chisels. I noticed the leather wheels seam is very deep and when honing the blades I am using drop into this dip with a very pronounced thud. I noticed this is causing issues and my blades are not as sharp as hand stopping. When the tip of the blade drops into the seam this tips the blade forward which to me is killing the edge by folding it.

Thanks

Most of the complaints I've seen is a "bump" usually from the glue, that can be sanded down a bit.  I think your issue might be one for Tormek Support to address.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Nghtrdr

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 26, 2023, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: Nghtrdr on April 26, 2023, 04:31:01 PMHi everyone!

Thanks

Most of the complaints I've seen is a "bump" usually from the glue, that can be sanded down a bit.  I think your issue might be one for Tormek Support to address.

Thank you for your reply!
I did send them an email

Nghtrdr

Just a quick update if anyone was interested.

Tormet is replacing the leather honing wheel for me after I sent them pictures that clearly showed the glue joint was indeed recessed and slightly separated.
It will be interesting to see where it is sent from since I am in Canada. I would assume they have a wearhouse in north America.  ;D