News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Repurposing a natural grinding stone to use on a Tormek?

Started by LeU, April 20, 2023, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeU

Hi Guys,

I just joined this forum because I am about to get a second hand Tormek, I do not know which model yet, since I have not see them physically, but there are several for sale in my area at the moment: SuperGrind 2000, T3, T4 and T8.

When I was much younger I used to play with an old manual grindstone, and I would be happy to retrieve something similar now, taking advantage of what a modern Tormek can provide.

I would like to know if any of you have experience using natural stones with these things, and in particular re-shaping a larger stone make it 200 or 250mm in diameter (depending on the machine)?

Is that feasible at all? will the old stone simply crumble to pieces? how would you cut it?

Looking forward to getting feedback and advice,

LeU

(this is the kind of natural stone I have in mind: https://imgur.com/a/GRDa2RO)

cbwx34

Quote from: LeU on April 20, 2023, 03:31:52 PM...
When I was much younger I used to play with an old manual grindstone, and I would be happy to retrieve something similar now, taking advantage of what a modern Tormek can provide.

So, (in all seriousness), why not take advantage of what a modern stone might offer also?   ???

What advantage do you think an old grindstone would have?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, LeU.

You ask an interesting question. With questions like yours, I generally have two thoughts: Is it possible? And is it practical? It is certainly possible.
I don't think it is practical.

The original Tormek grinding wheels were natural sandstone mined on Gotland, a Swedish island. They were softer and of a finer (less coarse) grit than the manmade aluminum oxide SuperGrind wheels which replaced them and are still in use today. The SuperGrind wheels are a coarser grit, which can be modified to a finer grit with the Stone Grader.

I would set your old grindstone aside for "possible future use".

As you have a choice of several used Tormek models, I would choose either the T4 or the T8. The SuperGrind 2000 had a non stainless steel shaft which could rust, sometimes freezing up the grinding wheel. This can be remedied; however, the replacement parts are expensive. The T3 had overheating problems which were corrected by the zinc top of the T4. Especially when you are starting out, you do not need repair issues.

Keep us posted!

Ken

LeU

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 20, 2023, 04:31:45 PMSo, (in all seriousness), why not take advantage of what a modern stone might offer also?  ???

What advantage do you think an old grindstone would have?

Too sentimental I guess?
I liked sharpening knives and axes on these old stones, the feeling of it, the smell., etc.
I never found the same sensations on a bench grinder
This is why I want to have a go as a Tormek
Obviously if I cannot reuse an old stone I will switch to an SG-something, but I would like to try first

LeU

Quote from: Ken S on April 20, 2023, 05:18:28 PMWelcome to the forum, LeU
Ken

Thanks Ken
I was aware of the non-stainless steel shaft on the SuperGrind, but I did not know about these T3 overheating issues
Are there other things I will have to pay attention to when buying second hand?

LeU

I missed the various Tormeks which were on sale, sold too quickly

However there is a Kiruna-slipen which seems interesting (Kiruna-vatslip-275-pro-230v)

It is also a slow water cooled machine (60 revolutions per minute), with a stone which it slightly larger than the SGs (275mm x 50mm) and a smaller/faster grindíng stone instead of the honing wheel

This one is a Pro version, so exactly like the one on this picture, without any jigs but with a stand, it is quite old/dirty although has not been much used:

do you guys know anything about these machines ?

a9cad

I have one, but I don't use it anymore. Not after I bought a T4 and then a T8. Almost exclusively using T8 now. Tormek has much better precision when grinding. Removable water trough etc. If you have the opportunity to buy a T8, I would recommend it.

LeU

@a9cad: What do you think of the gearbox & mechanism driving the wheel of the Kiruna compared to the Tormeks?

a9cad

Both have a high quality. No problem there. The biggest advantage of Tormek is all the different jigs that you can use on a Tormek. These jigs really help get a good edge.

Perra

Hi
I also have one of this fine old machines. But I have converted it into a honing station with a Tormek leather disc instead, Now I also have a usb support on it.

Ken S

LeU

Nice to see that it works

A long time ago I tried to contact the company who still makes and sells it nowadays, but they never answered

I think that I saw pictures of a version of this machine which had some kind of honing material in the form of flat disks on the sides of the stone (not on the periphery, as in your setup)

It seems that there is enough space in the water trough for a lot of stuff, but I was wondering. is the motor powerful enough? and is it noisy (with this gearbox)?

Perra

Hi. No problems with engine power or noise. Its strong enough and quite silent.