News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing Support Bar

Started by RichColvin, April 18, 2023, 06:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Brad Winesett posted this idea on the AAW Forum (https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/easy-tool-honing-with-the-tormek.20909/#post-215910).  I think it's an awesome idea and am making my own version. 

You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Dutchman

Can't you use the normal USB if you rotate it 180°, or am I missing the point?

cbwx34

Quote from: Dutchman on April 19, 2023, 04:02:22 PMCan't you use the normal USB if you rotate it 180°, or am I missing the point?

The point is to sharpen and hone without having to move/reposition the USB...

Quote from: https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/easy-tool-honing-with-the-tormek.20909/#post-215910...the thing that I always hated with the Tormek was that you had to remove the universal support bar (usb) after sharpening, flip it over, then adjust it with the tool setter jig in order to hone your gouges on the leather wheel. Then repeat the whole process again to go back to sharpening. It is simple to do but takes time and you don't always get the usb set perfectly in the same spot every time. So, I built the auxiliary tool bar shown in my pictures. It mounts onto the Tormek usb and can be independently adjusted and it allows the gouge to rotate fully left and right. I have been using this for over 2 years and it works great. I never have to move anything so my alignment for sharpening and honing stay perfect every time. I have a diamond stone so I never need to adjust for stone wear either.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

After making one, I was reminded that it can only be used when sharpening from the horizontal position.  When using the vertical, the honing wheel is rotating towards you and this can't be used. 

And I usually sharpen from the vertical position.  It is rare for me to do so from the horizontal.

I also found that I could not switch from the TTS-100 A position to the B position without having to realign this.

Regardless, I am documenting what I found works and will publish those plans in case someone wants to make one. 

I have another thought that I want to try next.  I believe that the FVB can be flipped over and used as the base for holding a rod for the honing support bar.  Will be trying that next. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.