News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wusthof Super Slicer Serrations

Started by Valley Sharp, December 24, 2022, 02:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valley Sharp

Hello Tormek Forum - this is my first post and I am excited to be here! I sharpen on CBN wheels and use various methods to deburr. I have a tapered rock hard felt wheel that I normally use on serrated knives. The knife pictured has a certain type of serration that I am not confident yet in sharpening. It is more like many curved blades rather than the peaks and valleys of a typical serrated blade. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to approach these. Thank you!

You cannot view this attachment.

cbwx34

Quote from: Valley Sharp on December 24, 2022, 02:54:37 AMHello Tormek Forum - this is my first post and I am excited to be here! I sharpen on CBN wheels and use various methods to deburr. I have a tapered rock hard felt wheel that I normally use on serrated knives. The knife pictured has a certain type of serration that I am not confident yet in sharpening. It is more like many curved blades rather than the peaks and valleys of a typical serrated blade. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to approach these. Thank you!

You can often "sharpen" these by simply deburring them.  If they need actual sharpening, sharpen the backside of the knife at a very low angle, with a fine stone (you may have better luck on a flat stone), then debur. 

There's some examples/ideas in Tormek's video...

https://youtu.be/PrRwBTil1l8?t=3425
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Valley Sharp

Thanks CB - I am used to flat stones so I will sharpen that way and clean up some of the abused scallops that have "flipped" at the edge with a very fine file, very slowly. Appreciate your insight and link.

John_B

I have one of these as well. I concur with deburring using a flat stone. I also have touched up mine with a ceramic rod that fits in the tooth before using flat stone.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

3D Anvil

I've done some non-Wusthof knives that had the same kind of serrations, and I'll concur with the others.  The only realistic way to tackle them is to address the flat side of the blade.  I tried to work on the serrations on the corner of a flat stone and it wasn't a ringing success.

tgbto

Hi. With sharpening in mind, I only purchase "spiky edge" bread knives instead of "scalloped edge" ones, if that makes sense.

Then you can sharpen the front side with a narrow (or triangle) rod and the back side on a flat stone, with just the barest intention of lifting it. With a bit of experience I don't round out the teeth much.

Judging from your picture i'd try to somehow get rid of the burrs/nicks on the groudn side using the shoulders of a very fine, slack belt on a belt grinder at the lowest speed setting. That should allow you to get very close to the bottom of the serrations while respecting the overall shape. If you only sharpen the back side, it won't help with the metal that's bent toward the ground side, or only after enough sharpening that you can throw away the knife entirely.