News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Point tool

Started by DavidWalser, January 26, 2008, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidWalser

Any recommendations on how to sharpen a "pyramid point tool" on the Tormek?

Here's a link to an example from CSUSA's website:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools___Henry_Taylor___Henry_Taylor_Pyramid_Point_Tool___htt_pyramid?Args=
DK Walser

Jeff Farris

It is a little hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to me like you could secure it in the SVS-50, match the bevel to the grindstone with the clamp loose, lock it up and go.  The description says the body is round, so the bevel matching to the stone will have to be done carefully.
Jeff Farris

DavidWalser

Again, Jeff, thanks for the prompt reply.  I appreciate your help.

Yes, the body of the tool is round.  Mine has a diameter of about 3/8".  It looks like a large nail, except the point has 3 flats rather than the 4 a nail would have.  

I hadn't thought of using the SVS-50, but I just tried mounting the tool in the jig and it should work.  The difficulty will be, in addition to setting the proper bevel angle by adjusting the universal support, you have to mount the tool in the jig so that one face is parallel with the stone.  Then, after sharpening that one face, you have to rotate the tool 120 degrees -- without changing the protrusion out of the jig -- to sharpen the next face.  Repeat one more time and you're done.

The other alternative is to use the SVD-110 to set the bevel angle and to sharpen the tool freehand.  Of course, if I was confident in my ability to consistently sharpen at the same angle, I wouldn't own all these jigs!

Oh, and FYI, I've asked Craft Supplies if they can sell me the new TNT-300 video and handbook and the Hand Tool accessory pack.  These items are not listed in their catalog, so they may not be able to sell them to me.  (I sent my email late Friday afternoon and have not heard back, yet.)  Is their another source you'd recommend?
DK Walser

Jeff Farris

As I said in my first post, put the tool in the jig loosely and match your first bevel.  To get the other two without going through the process again, scribe a line on the tool where it meets the jig with a very fine point marker (Sharpie?).  Now you have a reference for the protrusion, and you only have to fiddle with the rotation.

I believe CSUSA has the TNT-300 and HTK-705.  If not, call the office M-F 9-5 CT - 1-800-872-5489

Jeff Farris