News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

PA70 micron rating

Started by Sir Amwell, October 23, 2022, 10:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Amwell

Have searched for this on the forum and I'm sure it is somewhere, sorry if it's been covered already.
What is the grit rating for the Tormek honing paste and how does it convert to microns?

Ken S

Good question. I have been told several answers over the years, including from Tormek. Please post if you receive a definitive answer. I have used PA-70 since 2009 with my Tormeks. I have also read numerous comments from users who use it with non Tormek applications. I am curious to read other comments.

Ken

Sir Amwell

I went to Tormek website Ken. In their product description they say it's an average of 3 micron particle size. Suppose I got to accept that. Any opinions would be welcome.

3D Anvil

3 microns seems about right to me.  The Tormek website also mentions that the principal abrasive is aluminum oxide.  As such, it ought not to give great results with high-vanadium steels, but in my experience I generally get the lowest BESS scores finishing up with PA-70 and then bare leather.