News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

how to recognize versions of the same jig?

Started by miskermans, July 18, 2022, 04:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miskermans

As I am about to pull the trigger on a new T4, my first Tormek, I understand that I will need some jigs to go with it. In my case probably the truing tool, the axe jig, the knife jig and the chisel/straight edge jigs. I did read a lot to orient myself and it has come to my attention that Tormek do release improved version of their jigs every so often. So obviously I prefer to receive the latest jig versions available. But my question is, particularly with the SE-77 and the TT-50: can I, or the retailer that I intend to buy from, recognize if the jigs they select for shipping are indeed those newest versions? (In case they might have had it on the shelves for some time). In fact I have wondered the same thing about the T-4 itself because my impression is that there are various versions as well, based on the pictures that I see on the official page https://www.tormek.com/international/en/machine-models/tormek-t-4-original/ - look at the name plates.

As I haven't found solid info on version history I, as a prospect owner of such machines, would be helped by any pointers you can give.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jo.

You ask a very good question. The Tormek website usually shows the latest version of the jigs and accessories. With the TT-50 truing tool, look at the photo. The older version looks very different.

Try to deal with an authorized local dealer. Establishing a good working relationship is important.

The SE-77 replaced the SE-76 several years ago. You shouldn't have a problem ordering the SE-77. I am not aware of any version changes with the SE-77.

I would suggest going with the newly introduced KJ-45 self centering knife jig. It is Tormek's most advanced knife jig. Just starting out, you might as well go with the best. Personally, I would skip the KJ-140, unless you sharpen long thin flexible filleting knives.

I am unaware of any changes in the T4 since it was introduced. The recent introduction of the three diamond wheels broadens the scope for the T4. Don't be in a hurry to add grinding wheels. The SG-200 is very versatile. The Tormek experts highly recommend starting with the SG.

The Tormek online youtube classes have a wealth of knowledge. I highly recommend studying them. The Zt4 and T4 bushcraft are the same machine, except for the color.

Keep us posted.

Ken

cbwx34

One thing I'd be curious about, since the T-4 Bushcraft comes with a knife jig, will it start coming with the new knife jig?

Might be a question for Tormek support if you're looking at that model.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

miskermans

No, I ordered a plain T-4 from an authorized local dealer and expect it here within 1 or 2 weeks. I did order the new knife jig to go with it though.

Ken S

You have made a very good choice. The T4 is a solid, versatile performer. Dealing with an authorized reseller is wise; you will be a customer for many years.

Be sure to register your Tormek online (tormek.com). Registering adds three years to your warranty and allows you to access and download the latest version of the online handbook. I downloaded it onto my ipad and refer to it often.

Don't be afraid to make notes in your printed handbook, including references to the online classes.

Keep us posted.

Ken