News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Butt or Short Chisels

Started by Larry, October 02, 2007, 01:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I finally got a chance today to use my Tormek. I had used it for just a few minutes after I got it probably a year ago, but spent more time with it today.

I had good results with 2 plane irons, then I tried to sharpen an old Craftsman chisel. Because it was short, I had to slide part of the round part down in between the jaws of the holder. After about 15 min. of frustration, I realized the chisel was at an angle in the holder and the blade wasn't flat to the holder.

I was wondering if there was an easy solution. I have an idea I may have to make a spacer for the other side of the holder to keep the jaws parallel.

By the way, I realized today after using the Tormek for awhile that I was going to really like it. I bought it because I like to buy cheap junker planes off ebay and refurbish them. After the success with the 2 plane irons, I'm really excited about using it more.

Thanks very much for your help.

Larry
Larry

Jeff Farris

For short chisels, the SVS-32 would be the recommended approach.

With the SVH-60, you need to use a small try square to align the tool perpendicular to the jig.  Then, adjust the pressure on the two clamping knobs until the tool is flat and a square edge is achieved.
Jeff Farris