News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New to DF-250 wheel…

Started by EdgeLab, June 15, 2022, 03:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdgeLab

I used up the SG-250 wheel that came with my T-8. I bought a DF-250 to try. My question is... should I get the DE-250 before I put a knife onto a rockhard felt wheel or can I go right to the felt wheel from the DF-250? Thanks

tgbto

From my experience the DF will leave a deep scratch pattern onto the bevel. It may not be such an issue in terms of sharpness, but it will look scratched. I would at least advise stropping on CW composite honing wheel.

Cheers,

Nick.

cbwx34

Quote from: EdgeLab on June 15, 2022, 03:06:29 AM
I used up the SG-250 wheel that came with my T-8. I bought a DF-250 to try. My question is... should I get the DE-250 before I put a knife onto a rockhard felt wheel or can I go right to the felt wheel from the DF-250? Thanks

The felt wheel is primarily used for deburring, so no reason not to use it after the DF-250.  Like tgbto said, it may not polish, but it will debur.

You may already know, but there is a bit of a 'break-in" period on diamond wheels.  It will start out more coarse, but after a few knives will "settle in" to its intended grit.  Also, since you're coming from the stock wheel, be aware that the diamond wheel takes less pressure to work.  Think light!   :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

EdgeLab

Excellent info guys thank you!