News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek online classes "on the big screen"

Started by Ken S, May 14, 2022, 01:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

When I started on this from in 2009, I was using my new T7 and my 2008 21" imac. My hard drive eventually died, and I upgraded to my present 2015 imac (also 21" screen). As I got older and lazier, I started using my iPad almost exclusively. My grandson claimed the imac for his minecraft. My typing deteriorated and I learned to live with the limitations of the iPad program. My grandson moved on to faster needs and the imac sat unused.

With the advent of the online classes, I began missing my 21" retina screen. I also became increasingly frustrated with the typing limitations and occasional disappearing almost completed long posts of the iPad.With some help from my grandson and son-in-law, I deleted all the gaming programs on my imac. On a teenage time reference, the imac is "so old and slow that it is worth only about ten dollars". For an oldster like me, that is plenty fast.

The Tormek online classes are so much more enjoyable when viewed on the 21" "big screen". Being able to increase the viewing magnification while typing makes posting so much more pleasant. Not having to share the smaller iPad screen with the screen keyboard eliminates the screen crowding. Presently I have to learn some work arounds for things like the accent mark over the "e" in Sebastien or the circle over the "a" in Hakan. That will come. (I can modify the post after posting with the iPad"s on screen keyboard. That's clumsy, but doable temporarily.) The function keys on the apple keyboard make volume and brightness changes a snap, as well as pausing.

I have found that I benefit increasingly from watching the classes more than once. An example of this was watching Stig demonstrate using the side of the grinding wheel to square up a chisel. I liked the idea, but had doubts about using a wheel with a worn face. On a rewatching, I noticed that Stig only used the inside face of the wheel for squaring. The inside face had never been used for sharpening.

I still use my iPad a lot, however, for forum work and watching you tubes, my "only worth ten dollars" imac is a joy to use.

Ken

cbwx34

Get your grandson to set it up so you can watch them on your TV!   :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 14, 2022, 03:34:39 PM
Get your grandson to set it up so you can watch them on your TV!   :D

This is how I watch many of them. For the next one I watch live I want to try using TV and iPad at the same time so I can ask a question.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good thought, John. I could chat with just my ipad; however, a larger screen, either monitor or TV, makes viewing a pleasure.

Ken

tgbto

And just in case, a simple USB-C to HDMI is very easy to set up and allows to duplicate the screen of the iPad.

Dutchman

Quote from: tgbto on May 17, 2022, 01:10:28 PM
And just in case, a simple USB-C to HDMI is very easy to set up and allows to duplicate the screen of the iPad.
Huh? USB-C on iPad?
Mine only has a 'lightning' connector.
I suppose I don't understand your proposal.  ???

tgbto

Right, sorry, recent ipads "pro" and the latest ipad Air have a usb-c connector. There is a (quite expensive Apple or inexpensive noname) lightning-av adapter with a HDMI port for other models.

John_B

Why would TV and ipad need any physical connection. I can watch YouTube on TV and separately on iPad I think.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on May 18, 2022, 10:30:24 PM
Why would TV and ipad need any physical connection. I can watch YouTube on TV and separately on iPad I think.

If you didn't have a "smart" tv, or some type of box attached to it?  (Getting rare, but possible, especially on an older TV).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I guess one would call my several years old television a "smart TV" I could probably find youtube among its programs.
I have even occasionally mirrored my ipad screen to the TV using air play and the apple tv attachment.

I prefer to use my old imac to watch the online classes. The imac is in another room, so using it does not prevent my family from watching the tv. The 21" screen is very viewable and easy to pause and restart. I usually have my ipad with me to check other sources if desired. While my grandson assures me that my 2015 vintage imac is "too slow" it is quite adequate for you tube watching and forum posting. And, as I already had it, there is no cost.

Ken