News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Preferred depth on KJ-45/140 for thick knives...

Started by Naf, May 17, 2022, 06:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naf

Just wondering...

How far do you prefer to seat knives with a spine between .25" & .375" thick in the KJ-45/140?  (I've been trying to do this for a couple weeks and it not working out too well.  I might be sticking them in too far and the stem seem to just push apart and the inside surfaces of the clamps not touch the knive sides well.)

cbwx34

Quote from: Naf on May 17, 2022, 06:38:15 PM
Just wondering...

How far do you prefer to seat knives with a spine between .25" & .375" thick in the KJ-45/140?  (I've been trying to do this for a couple weeks and it not working out too well.  I might be sticking them in too far and the stem seem to just push apart and the inside surfaces of the clamps not touch the knive sides well.)

Sides flat or tapered?  You might be at the jig's limit...

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Have you watched the online class covering the new KJ jigs? Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/JFHqQg5wZEg

Naf

CB:  To answer question, several of both plus sabre grind. I forgot about cross section image (and obviously was unaware of stated limits)... that explain why smaller for full flat grind.  I needed see that. Thank you.

Kens: No, but I certainly will.  Thank you.

General:  Maybe I should have look around more, but I know they're both very new jigs and when I ordered them back in mid-April they're wasn't much on net about them in a language I could read.  Was very surprised to find free shipping from UK so probably jumped the gun... was so excited to try them on the thicker stuff!

Ken S

Naf,

I have found the (free) Tormek online classes to be excellent training resources. These classes have provided Tormek a very cost efficient way to share years worth of technique improvements with a large audience. Even better, with digital technology, it is easy to rewatch all or part if the knowledge doesn't quite soak in during the initial watching.

I have watched many of them half a dozen times and plan to continue doing so. This is training directly from Tormek's top instructors. I learn more deeply each time I watch the videos. I would suggest that you do the same.There is much to learn!

Ken

Naf

Agreed; always much to learn (bout everything for that matter).  That's certainly why many of us are here.  IMHO, the smartest people are those who realize how little they know.