News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Why either/or?

Started by Ken S, May 14, 2022, 02:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Among the posts about the new KJ knife jigs, I detect an attitude of having to use either the SVM or the KJ jigs exclusively. Why should we impose this artificial limitation on ourselves?

The KJ-45 jig presently costs only $54US. That makes it one of the least expensive Tormek jigs. For most users, I see no real advantage in purchasing more than one. I also happen to think that very few users really need the KJ-140 long jig. The KJ-45 regular jig will handle long and think blades where the self centering feature is useful. How many "flexible" fillet knives have we seen which are thicker than 3 millimeters?

Most of us already have at least one SVM-45 knife jig. Some of us have several.

Why not use each jig to its best advantage? For very thick or tapered knives, the KJ-45 seems the clear winner. For high volume sharpeners where the speed of the adjustable Projection stop is essential, the old reliable SVM-45 gets the nod. Some of us have doubts about pivoting with the new jig, even after watching the online class. Chances are, the pivot people already have a pivot jig. At around nine knife jigs, I have more than I need; however, having an extra jig dedicated to pivoting seems reasonable.

I sent an email to Sebastien and Wolfgang prior to the online KJ class conveying our questions. Sebastien sent a very wise reply. He appreciated my email, but decided to keep the initial class more basic in order not to lose the beginners. His plan, a good one, is to wait until the new jigs are more generally available and in use. At that point, he plans to schedule another live more advanced class geared to forum users. I will keep us posted on this upcoming class.

Ken

cbwx34

I still suspect that the KJ jigs will replace the SVM jigs... so that will solve the "either/or".  Of course if someone's never used the SVM jigs, they won't be missing anything, and will adapt to the new jig without issue.

In my mind, (since I don't have the KJ yet), I'll replace the SVM jig with the KJ jig.  I don't see the need for both.  I'll solve the "pivoting issue" some other way... there are several ways to do that (for example, ideas based on Jan's template).

I personally have never gone the route of using multiple SVMs to speed up the process.  If speed were an issue, I would adopt Steve Bs method.  Not saying using multiple jigs doesn't work, I've used the idea of grouping and sharpening knives of similar size (Projection Distance) in a group, so I don't have to make many adjustments, but overall, if speed were the driving factor, it's not how I would do it.  (But I also think the "speed issue" can be solved without needing an adjustable Stop Collar.)

Time will tell.   ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good post, CB.

I suspect you are right about the days of new SVM jigs being numbered. We will adapt. Who knows, we may even grow to prefer the new jigs. Just like with "number please" or rotary phones, the future newbies won't know what they missed.

I agree with you about Steve's technique for high volume. I have had the opportunity of having Steve coaching me.
He is a real treasure and a fine sharpener.

I got into multiple knife jigs by an unusual route. My personal sharpening needs would easily be satisfied with a single knife jig. Developing the kenjig, one of my goals was not needing to adjust the Distance from the grinding wheel to the support bar or the Projection. I did this by having three knife jigs (four including the SVM-00 as part of the set up for paring knives). Then I discovered that my middle thickness jig (an out of production SVM-100) worked because its  pre 2002 design had a longer adjustment screw. At that point,I began looking for pre2002 SVM-45 jigs and purchased two of them. Add two more SVM-45s for future modification to Wootz' (Vadim of Knife Grinders) milling. Add recently the two KJ jigs

For my own sharpening needs, just the KJ-45 would be more than adequate. I like the new design; in my opinion, the advancements more than outweigh any constraints.

Ken

PS Just for the record, I do not want to sell any knife jigs. They are readily available.