News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

thoughts on grinding wheel truing

Started by Ken S, May 17, 2022, 05:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For some time, I have been thinking about Wootz' video about truing. I think highly of Wootz and his methods. His video offers some very good advice about truing. I realize that Wootz is no longer with us. With respect for my friend, I would respectfully put forward some ideas to augment his video.

I don't know who first thought of chamfering the corners on the grinding wheel. Whoever it was had a very good idea. Wootz includes this in his video. My suggestion would be to do it first before the truing. Why take the unnecessary chance of chipping the grinding wheel while truing it?

My first exposure to using cable ties to stabilize the TT-50 was a post by forum member, Ionut, many years ago. I modified my TT-50 this way. I had not noticed a problem but tried it anyway. Some years later, I cut them off and still do not notice a problem. I think it is a good preventative idea. I have since switched to the 2019 revision.  For those of you who are having chatter problems with your TT-50, the cable ties are a good, inexpensive fix. If you are thinking of upgrading to the 2019 version, you should be aware that Tormek also sells a TT-50U version of the truing tool. The "U" stands for Upgrade. This is the tool without the diamond cluster. This option goes back to when the TT-50 was first introduced. Tormek offered the Upgrade version for existing users who had the old tool. The diamond clusters are th same and easily switched offering a saving over the cost of the complete tool.

If you are sharpening tools like turning gouges which require more frequent truing, having a support bar dedicated to the truing tool is a timesaver. It is a good use for a spare support bar.

Learning how to true your grinding wheel is not difficult and will serve you well. It eliminates a lot of potential problems.

Ken