News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Home made Jigs

Started by Alston, May 02, 2022, 06:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alston

Do many of you make your own jigs or do you just buy what you need? Just being nosey!  ;D

cbwx34

Quote from: Alston on May 02, 2022, 06:48:17 PM
Do many of you make your own jigs or do you just buy what you need? Just being nosey!  ;D

I pieced these together... better pivoting and the bottom one (in the top photo) is a KME clamp that is self centering...

... does that count?  :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Alston

Thanks for posting. It's nice to see what others have come up with.  :)

Ken S

Good question, Alston.

Some of us have been designing and building our own jigs and accessories for years. The most common reason for this is that we needed something Tormek didn't have. For example, Tormek has the SVD-110 platform jig. It works well for its intended purpose, sharpening woodturning scrapers. Several of us wanted a smaller platform, no wider than the grinding wheel. This would allow very small knives to be ground the entire blade length on both sides without relocating a jig. In my opinion, the homemade small platform works better than the SVM-00.

We would have purchased this from Tormek if it was in the lineup.

I anticipate more homemade jigs with the advent of 3D printing. A few of us have machinist skills; however, for most of us, metal working can be problematic. My homemade jigs are generally functional, but look homemade.

Dutchman posted his grinding angles tables on the forum in 2013. His work is the basis for the kenjig and later variations as well as the inspiration for the various apps. There is power in the forum!

Ken

RichColvin

The ones I've found most popular are cataloged here:  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexJigs.html

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Herman Trivilino

I made a platform that attaches to the base of the scissors jig. The scissors jig allows the platform to get a lot closer to the grindstone than the platform of the SVD-110. I use it to sharpen all my knives and anything else suited to it. I can sharpen knives ranging in size from pen knives to machetes.

If I'm having a sharpening session where I have several knives t sharpen, all at the same angle, I don't have to adjust the jig in between knives.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

You heard it directly from Herman of "Herman's homemade small platform". Advice doesn't get any better than that!

Ken