News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SE-77 fine tuning square

Started by Matth, October 16, 2019, 03:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matth

I have the T-4 and recently used the SE-77 to sharpen my chisels. Well now 3 out 4 are out of square. I did a little research and saw that you really need to true your wheel to get a square edge. I just did this and tried again playing with the adjustment knobs trying to get my chisels back to square. Still having trouble. Have a few questions.
1 is there a good video out there for the SE-77 the video from Tormek is for the older model.
2 once you are out of square how do you get back without over correcting
3 once I do get the adjustment knobs set to square am I good or do I have to adjust every time for each tool

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

You read correctly; the grinding wheel should be trued before sharpening chisels (or any tools).

In my opinion, the adjustability of the SE-77 is a real step forward for cambering plane blades. It is also useful to help square chisels. To use it effectively with chisels, you need to have a black marker and a small square. Use the square to check the bevel for squareness.  Mark the bevel. With the chisel in the jig and the jig in the support bar, turn on the motor and just lightly touch the chisel to the grinding wheel lightly and only momentarily. Remove the jig from the support bar. The grinding marks should just remove the marker, and only the high side of the edge should start to be ground. If you are grinding across the entire bevel at this point, and your chisel is not square, you will only make your situation worse. You should only be grinding across the entire bevel if your chisel is square.

When you move the two adjustment wheels, if you are consistent and move your wheels say a quarter turn, you will soon learn how much a quarter turn changes your chisel. A little structure can save a lot of wasted time. With discipline, the amount of time and error will decrease. Practice makes perfect. You will develop a sense of how much to correct.

The only video I am aware with the SE-77 is with David Charlesworth showing only the cambering feature. Tormek is very lean on good instructional videos (the turning tool DVD and Alan Holtham's DBS-22 video being outstanding exceptions.)

Ken

Dannooo

I can't find any info about how to adjust using the knobs -- what's impacts what?

Ken S

Danno,

This online class shows the best technique I have found for squaring chisel edges. Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/8uLMWXqobRM

Start looking just before 25 minutes.

Ken