News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Chipped the stone. What now?

Started by dadinthegarageww, February 27, 2022, 06:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadinthegarageww

Sorry guys, it's me again...

Was sharpening one more kitchen knife when it slipped and dug into the stone.  My heart sank,  but at least my fingers are OK. 

What do I do now? Use the grit stone or true up the stone once again?

On a side note,  how often do you guys true your stone? My machine is less than a week old,  I've already trued it up to between 250 and 245. Not sure what I did,  but after sharpening the chisel,  one side was quite used up. I thought I had consistently used the stone,  apparently not...

cbwx34

Quote from: dadinthegarageww on February 27, 2022, 06:45:54 PM
Sorry guys, it's me again...

Was sharpening one more kitchen knife when it slipped and dug into the stone.  My heart sank,  but at least my fingers are OK. 

What do I do now? Use the grit stone or true up the stone once again?

On a side note,  how often do you guys true your stone? My machine is less than a week old,  I've already trued it up to between 250 and 245. Not sure what I did,  but after sharpening the chisel,  one side was quite used up. I thought I had consistently used the stone,  apparently not...

I would try the grading stone first... doesn't look that bad.  You might also consider slightly rounding the edges of the wheel.

My .02 on the 2nd question... I think you're just in the learning phase, as your experience grows, you'll need to true less.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

dadinthegarageww

Thank you! I'll try the stone first and report back!

highpower

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 27, 2022, 07:06:03 PM
[
I would try the grading stone first... doesn't look that bad.  You might also consider slightly rounding the edges of the wheel.

I was going to say the same thing. The edges on the wheel look mighty sharp to me as well. In the Tormek sharpening videos they often stress it's a good idea to round over the edges of the stone slightly (especially for new users) in order to help prevent this exact situation. I think cb is spot on here.

dadinthegarageww

I don't think the blade caught the wheel because of a square edge. I think what happened was that I let loose a bit and since the stone was rotating towards the edge, it pulled the blade with it. That is when it dug in.

You're correct, I did cut myself not eh side of the wheels last night when I was trying to use the grating stone. The crack was still there, so I ended up just truing it. It was bothering me more than anything. Oh well, hopefully I avoid more of this in the future.

I'll check out the video for sure. There was nothing mentioned in the handbook. If anyone from Tormek is on here, I would really suggest having first few chapters talking about stones, care, and beginners guide etc., for it? Also, there is a lot of words and relatively less pictures. The opposite would be nice. Thankfully, they have a lot of great video's online...

cbwx34

Quote from: dadinthegarageww on February 28, 2022, 01:15:14 PM
I don't think the blade caught the wheel because of a square edge. I think what happened was that I let loose a bit and since the stone was rotating towards the edge, it pulled the blade with it. That is when it dug in.

Didn't mean to imply that the sharp edge caught the knife... just that it makes sharpening a bit easier.  (It keeps the edge from cutting into the knife).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)