News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flattening the stone grader

Started by Steveh, July 19, 2007, 04:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveh

How do I flatten the stone grader, it's developed quite a hump in the middle over the years.  Also, when I lean on the grindstone with the grader, even moderate pressure stops the wheel from turning.  

Thanks

mgf99

Wouldn't want to venture a guess on the Grader. Wth regular stones I use wet/dry sandpaper glued to a piece of glass and rub the stone on the now flat sandpaper.

If the wheel is slipping:
First, make sure the nut on the grindstone is tight.
If it is and you can still stall the wheel too easily, take off the Honing wheel and see if the motor shaft keeps spinning when you stop the drive wheel.
If the motor stalls too easily, the motor itself likely needs repair or replacement.
If the motor keep spinning, clean the motor shaft with mineral spirts or a similar grease remover.  Then refresh the rubber surface of the drive wheel by lightly holding fine sandpaper or emery cloth to the surface for a few seconds as it spins.  The book says that if the grindstone stops it should stop the motor, so if you still get slippage apply a little more pressure with the sandpaper on the moving rubber wheel until you are happy with the grip.

Steveh

Thanks very much..I'll give it a try

Jeff Farris

Quote from: Steveh on July 19, 2007, 04:56:15 AM
How do I flatten the stone grader, it's developed quite a hump in the middle over the years.  Also, when I lean on the grindstone with the grader, even moderate pressure stops the wheel from turning.  

Thanks

It is not necessary to flatten the stone grader, in fact, I think it works better once it develops a contour that matches the grindstone.  I work on the two ends of the grader, rather than in the middle, which gives me twice as much life out of the grader.

Mfg99 is right about the stalling.  Most likely, the drive wheel is slipping on the motor shaft.  Clean up the drive wheel with a piece of coarse sand paper and the slippage will go away.
Jeff Farris