News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Having problems sharpening

Started by rbahr, March 10, 2022, 05:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbahr

Hi All,

I am having a problem with my 1st attempts at sharpening.

This is a LN plane blade that got messed up by other attempts, guess I have a trend going!

The 1st picture is what I ended up with, sigh...

The 2nd picture is a small machinist square in the plane jig, against the wheel AFTER a long session with the diamond flattening fixture.

The 3rd picture is the square in the jig.

How did I mess up getting the wheel parallel?

Thanks

Ray

Ken S

Ray,
Looking at your photos, your square looks out of square. Do you know the simple way to test it? Place your square against a straight surface. Scribe a line. Flip the square over and scribe another line. The two lines should be parallel.
Once you know your square is accurate, blacken your bevel.  Make one pass and see if the black marker removed is getting you closer to square.
Continue.

rbahr

Hi Ken,

Just checked, all I can say is that you have good eyes! That has been my trust go-to small square for a while and I never checked it...

Thanks

Ray

Ken S

RickKrung

Even with a "square" square, plane irons and chisels are easily ground not square in the SE jigs.  If you have the newer version, with the two camber adjustment screws, it is easier to troubleshoot and rectify.  The manual provides the basic procedure and it is just a matter of figuring that process out and a lot of trial and error.  There has been a good bit of discussion on this as it is a common situation.  Good to scour the General and Hand Tool Woodworking subforums for these discussions. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

rbahr

Ken - good advice!

Rick - There are a couple of improvements to jigs that I have read about - the wheel trueing and the plane iron jig to name 2. I will likely need to pick them up.

The other question is about a black or diamond wheel to handle the tool steel irons I have - thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Ray

Ken S

Ray,
Although the newer jigs are easier to square up, you can get square edges with any of the square edge jigs. Place your tool in the jig. Blacken the bevel. With the motor off, grind off just a little of the blacking. Hold a known square square against your tool. The area ground off the blackened bevel should be parallel to the square. If not gently the tool to align the ground area with square. Make each pass with your grinding wheel one step closer to being square.

Be sure to watch the online class with Stig Reitan. Stig demonstrates a much easier method.

Ken

rbahr

TireguyfromMA

On page 127 in the TORMEK Maunal of the "Water Cooled Sharpening of Edge Tools", this is the section about fine tuning the SE-77 jig when sharpening plane irons and wood chisels.  To increase the sharpening pressure on the tools right side, loosen knob A and tighten knob B. Do the opposite to increase pressure to the left side.  I used 1/4 turn adjustments for the first adjustment and then used 1/8 turns to fine tune the jig so I had even sharpening pressure across the chisel I was sharpening.

Ken S

We all need a few practicing tools to learn our skills.

Ken

rbahr

I just had some good results with a plane blade!!!

This will take some time to master...

Ray

TireguyfromMA

Yeah, best to practice on some blades ya don't worry about.  I had some old Craftsman wood chisels that hadn't been used in 30 years.  Once I got the jig tuned to sharpen evenly across the blade of the chisel it worked great. You could just about shave with it now.