News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bench height for SG2000/T-8

Started by Jeremy, August 13, 2021, 02:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy

Guys I am remodelling a sharpening bench area in a communal "Guild" environment to accommodate three Tormek (SuperGind 2000, T-8) machines and make space available for hand sharpening positions (based around Veritas Mk II jigs). The current Tormek bench height is 85 cm and shorter stature people have difficulty getting a good view and setting  grinding angles for plane blades or chisels. I note that there are a number of streams that talk about machine height issues, sitting - standing etc. Is there any interest out there in conducting a survey of users and getting data about: Their stature (height); bench height; Tormek model; sharpening position (sitting/standing) etc: and compiling the statistics and making them available. Getting information on how Tormek came up with its TS-740 stand height range would be informative as well.

Jeremy

Hi you'all - Time to be pragmatic - it would be good to know what process or anthropometric data the Tormek design team used to develop the height adjustments range for the Sharpening Station Stand (TS-740). I am not sure how to approach them about it. So I have chosen the mid point of the range and hope that that will satisfy at least 63 % of the local population (+/- 1 SD); i.e. 790 cm. Keep your fingers crossed!

capt rich

Ken S

Jeremy,

You could solve your problem the way Frederick the Great of Prussia did with choosing his guard. Minimum height was six feet. Woe to any Prussian young man over six feet.

I would suggest you consider making three or four simple benches of different heights. They can be made of mostly 2x4 of one bys. The idea would be for the individual user to place the Tormek or Veritas jig on the most comfortable height bench. The individual user may prefer two different heights depending on whether he/she is using the vertical or horizontal position. Keep these stands easily movable and store jigs, accessories, etc elsewhere.

Ken

John_B

Building on Ken's suggestion I would design the bench so that it can be adjusted to 3 or 4 different positions during assembly. In the instructions give a recommendation based on persons height. I would also add the option of locking casters so it can be easily rolled around the shop.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Or get something for the "vertically challenged" to stand on....   ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jeremy

Guys thanks for your comments. I am going to make a set height of 79 cm bench height, mid point of the Tormek Sharpening workstation height range, and that should fit approx 63% of the population (assuming the Tormek TS-740 workstation was based on universal population data). In that way the really tall guys can bend some more and the really shorter ones can stand on a plinth or stretch. Thanks again

Beaker

I can say that I decided to make a custom height bench rather than purchase the Tormek Sharpening Station as the Torrmek Station could not go low enough for me to sharpen comfortably.  I am vertically challenged at 5' 4" and I built my custom station to a height of 23" (58 cm) and it works perfectly for me.

rotax

Well I just purchased and set up my Tormek TS-740..... I'm 5ยด11" tall . And so far my height I finished at was 790mm or 79cm.
I do have the Tormek T-8.... Used primarily for my restaurant's kitchen knives..... After a few trials with that height I will see if it accommodates me...... PS. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to make the workstation movable??? Sliding appliances pucks ?
Thanks !