News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new online class, repairing knives

Started by Ken S, March 22, 2022, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

Yup, and diamond wheels, no SG-250...

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on March 22, 2022, 10:58:51 PM
Yup, and diamond wheels, no SG-250...

Maybe you can only use the new knife jig with diamond wheels!   :D  :D  :D  Kidding...

But actually, the SG-250 probably falls under "T-8 Original" (since they also list using the Stone Grader).

tgbto

Ken S

The knife repair online class was excellent. (It is now on Tormek's youtube channel.) I was especially pleased with the in depth coverage of dealing with protruding bolsters and edge curves which prevent the full length of the blade cutting. I can understand why these were not covered in Tormek video before. Any company wants to project the image that its product does the job quickly and easily. Neither of these issues is quickly or easily solved, something prospective users don't want to hear. These are problems with all sharpening systems. They are not a Tormek problem; however, Tormek users must deal with them.

Closely tied to the bolster, I was pleased to hear the recommendation of touching up the bolster during every sharpening rather than letting the problem grow. It makes sense to me.

It was merciful of Sebastien and Wolfgang to borrow a before and after technique from the cooking shows and spare the viewers from a long time of grinding. By the way, Victor, your graphics were well done and informative.

My one (understandable) disappointment was the answer to my online comment. I requested they discuss the new KJ knife jigs which they showed in the class. They admitted it was a tease, but said we would have to wait a week or two for a special class.

So, we must wait a little longer......

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 24, 2022, 06:56:16 PM
My one (understandable) disappointment was the answer to my online comment. I requested they discuss the new KJ knife jigs which they showed in the class. They admitted it was a tease, but said we would have to wait a week or two for a special class.

So, we must wait a little longer......

Ken

I thought about asking, how do I fix a knife that has a convex edge?   ;)

Wolfgang got pretty excited about your question though...

...I think he would have responded if given the chance.  Looks like he likes it!

John_B

We had a contractor in this morning and they made quite a bit of noise so I did not see it. I definitely will be watching the replay.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good catch, CB! Somehow I missed Wolfgang's reaction. This starts around 28:45 during the class.

Ken

tgbto

That was another very, very interesting class. I had not thought about the bolster issue, which I usually touch up on a small belt sander. It might be easier this way.

The relationship between sharp corners and the damn concave curve at the heel is something that came as a revelation. I think it will help avoiding what I have seen on some of my flatter knives. I didn't always bother rounding the edges, now I definiltely will.

Out of curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing how long it would take (with the DC-250, SB-250 or SG-250) to reshape one of the knives they've shown on the Tormek.

Ken S

tgbto,

I emailed Wolfgang. Here is his reply:

"Hey Ken

It took me 3 hours for the 5 knives, the sixth's was just sharpened and all finished on the JA-250.
To establish a bevel and finishing was just minutes per knife. The most time I used was for the shaping.
I'm pretty sure with a belt sander or on A 1000 rpm CBN you can save some time, but it will still take quite a time. Maybe you safe some 30-45 min...
A metal rasp do also wonders ;-)"

Such repairs are definitely doable, but not something I would want to do very often.

Ken

tgbto

Thank you Ken, that's very helpful !!!

Cheers,

Nick.