News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Water trough knob - Push function

Started by euclidaes, February 07, 2022, 03:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euclidaes

Hello everyone,

i just recently bought a new T-8 and was wondering was is the push function for? I am referring to the knob used to regulate the height of the water trough. i have been looking at the YouTube videos and don't find anything. Even Sebastien Ennevid, Country Sales manager from Tormek, explained how to remove the trough and he did not even mention this "push function". I am sorry if this happens to be a dumb question, but I have not found anything, not even in the user's manual. maybe i did it wrong. Thanks a lot

cheers and stay sharp ;)

RickKrung

Its mysterious enough, I don't even know what you are talking about. What "push" function?  On my T8, the knob only rotates, which raises or lowers the trough carrier/hanger/rack.  Pushing and pulling only come into play when placing or removing the trough at its lowest position.  I would not characterize it as pushing or pulling either, more of a slight lift to lift it off the fingers and removing. 

Perhaps you could describe in some detail what you mean by push function? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: euclidaes on February 07, 2022, 03:23:19 PM
Hello everyone,

i just recently bought a new T-8 and was wondering was is the push function for? I am referring to the knob used to regulate the height of the water trough. i have been looking at the YouTube videos and don't find anything. Even Sebastien Ennevid, Country Sales manager from Tormek, explained how to remove the trough and he did not even mention this "push function". I am sorry if this happens to be a dumb question, but I have not found anything, not even in the user's manual. maybe i did it wrong. Thanks a lot

cheers and stay sharp ;)

It just locks it in place.... you'll see that if you push it in and turn the knob it moves up and down without "stopping" at each level.  (But I think it's designed so you can turn it without really having to push it in).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

Erik,

This allows for the water trough to be raised as the grindstone is consumed.  That allows for the water to stay engaged with the grindstone and not having to over-fill the trough.

It also is easier to lower the tray to remove the grindstones than the tabs used on older machines (T-7 and T-2000).

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Beaker

As CBWX described, the "push function" is merely to allow smooth movement between the preset indents where the trough locks into place. I suppose if this design were any other way it would require a two-handed multi step operation.  Release the screw, raise the trough, and then re-lock in place.  As is - a very good design. I never used the earlier T-7, but I understand the water trough was not so easy to remove + raise /lower as on the T-8.  By all accounts the T-8 is a marked improvement.