News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New member with a new T-8 and a few questions.

Started by highpower, January 24, 2022, 02:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Quote from: highpower on January 25, 2022, 06:42:28 PM
The only thing I was referring to was some of the acronyms used in some posts that a newbie like myself have no idea of their meaning. As an example I'll use this quote from the other thread:

Quote from: plonken on March 18, 2020, 01:56:30 PM
Think that would be great, what i missed in the beginning and still do sometime is a dictionary for all abbreviations like CBN, USB, BESS, FVB, DPS and so on.

CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) I am already familiar with - unless it has a totally different meaning here for something else. USB threw me for a short time because I am used to that being a type of communications connector. My Tormek has a USB port?  :o

One I figured out it was short-hand for universal support bar it made sense. If I see one with a number behind it, that is easily recognized as a Tormek part number or jig. But what about the other ones? BESS, FVB or DPS? I don't see any such listings in my handbook for those.

Edit:

OK, never mind. I should have read tgbto's lexicon thread before responding in this one. My answers were finally found right here spelled out for a newbie to understand. Mea culpa.

Part of the problem with acronyms like USB, BESS, FVB, and DPS is that they are not Tormek terms. Yes, they are used by the Tormek community; however, I would not expect to see them in the Tormek handbook.
USB should properly be US (universal support) followed by 103, 105, or 430. I have used "universal support", another inaccurate, but more easily guessed term. BESS is a sharpness scale devised by Mike Brubacher of Edge on Up. FVB (frontal vertical base) invented by the late Vadim Kraichuk of Knife Grinders.
DPS (degrees per side), although not a Tormek term, is very understandable.

I believe a more effective solution to long lists would be to only list the commonly used non Tormek terms.
Copy/paste this list and tape into the handbook. There is a listing of all the jigs in the handbook. Keep your copy of the handbook near your sharpening area and near the computer device you use for the forum. The handbook can be a very good "one stop shop".

I think the sticky topic can be a useful support for the handbook.

Ken

highpower

Quote from: Ken S on January 27, 2022, 10:20:39 PM

I believe a more effective solution to long lists would be to only list the commonly used non Tormek terms.

Ken

I agree Ken. If it's not found in the handbook, I believe putting any unofficial terms in the sticky would be very helpful to us noobs. I spent way too much time looking for a front vertical support block in the handbook and the Tormek web site to purchase.  :o

But now I know I'll need to grab some stock out of the rack and make it myself one of these days. No problem.