News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

what's been your experience with the Japanese Stone on your T4

Started by truthrider, June 18, 2024, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truthrider

I recently picked up a used T4 after several years of getting mixed results with flat wet stones (some great, some not so).
I've sharpened one Shun pairing knife so far and had am quite happy with the result.

Since I saved a little $$ buying used, I'm wondering if adding the Japanese Stone would produce much of an improvement.  I'd appreciate hearing your experience.

Also, I do have some good flat stones.  Do any of you finish your knifes on flat stones after using your Tormek.

Thanks

Marty

cbwx34

Quote from: truthrider on June 18, 2024, 05:51:24 PMI recently picked up a used T4 after several years of getting mixed results with flat wet stones (some great, some not so).
I've sharpened one Shun pairing knife so far and had am quite happy with the result.

Since I saved a little $$ buying used, I'm wondering if adding the Japanese Stone would produce much of an improvement.  I'd appreciate hearing your experience.

Also, I do have some good flat stones.  Do any of you finish your knifes on flat stones after using your Tormek.

Thanks

Marty

I have an SJ stone and rarely use it, unless I just want a polished bevel.  I guess it just depends on what your goal is, but the edge off the SG wheel (and deburred) is usually enough for me.

I will sometimes set an edge with the Tormek and then switch to a flat stone to refine and/or debur it. (Mainly cause I like sharpening that way sometimes.)

There are many paths to sharp...  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

I think what CB is saying is that the SJ wheel will polish your edge bevel, but it won't make the knife sharper. 

cbwx34

Quote from: 3D Anvil on June 18, 2024, 11:12:08 PMI think what CB is saying is that the SJ wheel will polish your edge bevel, but it won't make the knife sharper.

Yeah, pretty much... I think it could, but not enough to make it worth it, unless you're sharpening for a specific purpose.  It mostly changes the appearance.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 18, 2024, 11:40:47 PM
Quote from: 3D Anvil on June 18, 2024, 11:12:08 PMI think what CB is saying is that the SJ wheel will polish your edge bevel, but it won't make the knife sharper.

Yeah, pretty much... I think it could, but not enough to make it worth it, unless you're sharpening for a specific purpose.  It mostly changes the appearance.
My experience is that I don't get a *sharper* edge, but it is a more refined, less toothy edge, which might be preferable for things like fileting fish, or slicing sushi.  Also, sometimes you just want a shiny edge!

Something to keep in mind is that the SJ wheel doesn't do much with high vanadium, wear-resistant steels.  The vanadium carbides are harder than the abrasive in the wheel.

John Hancock Sr

I heard that a sharper edge, ie one which has been sharpened to a higher grit, will stay sharp longer. This is due to the higher consistency of the edge. The post below from Sharpening supplies bears this out.

When you see Japanese planes taking ultra fine shavings with very little force one of the things that enables then to do that is irons that have been sharpened with a super high grit.

Given this the JS should provide a more resilient edge. Having said that it depends on what you are using the edge for and how much extra work is involved. Yes, the SJ will give you a sharper more durable edge but whether that is what you want depends on what you are doing with the edge.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/blogs/articles/is-a-sharper-edge-stronger

3D Anvil

I believe that Larrin Thomas has done some testing on edge retention versus grit, and my recollection is that the best results over all came with a 600 grit finishing stone.  I think it depends somewhat on the particular steel.