News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Multiple T8 (preferred distance between)

Started by Naf, January 02, 2022, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naf

The most I see so far here is somebody with 6 Tormek.  Don't know if they all T8. Regardless, make me think possibly many people have multiple T8. If so, and you do, what distance you prefer have between bases of these, if side by side? Also, what distance you recommend between T8, next each other? I want know this cause seriously considering. (Can't afford dropping wheels or asking someone swap for me so I don't.  Have heard said worst case scenario rarely ever happens, but have survived some of these, so seems a matter of: when, which bones get broken right before, how much replacing that gonna cost me.) Factor... I not have swords, wish I did, hope to, but not foreseeable future; maybe 18 inch max total length currently. If you respond, please indicate your max length and maybe how your recommendation would change if my max length were to increase.  No sick comments needed. Quite serious here.

Naf

Where the guy with 6 Tormek at when you need him?

Naf

For sake of clarity, I wouldn't simply take recommend distance and start drilling holes in bench for mount, but I would really like know some about what distance people using. (Think I'll stick with unmounted)

Ken S

I have never seen a Tormek mounted to a bench. The weight of the machine and the slow speed make bolting to a bench unnecessary. Most of us have one Tormek. Those who have more than one typically have only two. Normally the only reason to have more than one Tormek is to eliminate wheel changes.

Spacing would vary depending on what was being sharpened.

I recommend that anyone starting out use only one Tormek and basic tools or knives to sharpen. Things like swords, harpoons, and axes can be clumsy to handle, even for experienced sharpeners. Stick with basic knives and tools like chisels.

Ken

BeSharp

Quote from: Naf on January 04, 2022, 03:45:12 PM
Where the guy with 6 Tormek at when you need him?

That would be me  ;D. Actually, I sold two, so am now down to "only" one T-8 and three T-7's. (That will go down further once I finish modifying my custom grinding machine. Since Tormek hosts this forum, please don't ask me publicly about it).

Spacing depends on whether you are putting more than one against a wall, or, as I did, as two islands in the middle - two machines per island. Two islands let me vary the side-to side distance between two machines.

Here's an old post and pictures where I did that: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4586.msg32904#msg32904

Naf

Ken,

I simply looking for reasonable range of distances between two side by side T8 bases here, from anybody already having two, due to considering it for stated reasons, though maybe not in this particular thread.

I understand all that you said, but question remains. Is there issue with question?  Already said I not gonna do some of these things and I'm definitely gonna do some of these things. I mean how can you love sharpening yet not sharpen your harpoon or spear; already said I not have swords, yet. I sorry breaking out one of my chisel sets not on my bucket list but might get to them eventually. If I was cat, my 9 lives been gone decades ago, but I still here, and probably not have 3 decades to spend getting basic education on one sIngle aspect of my life (sharpening), so I can hopefully get to the stuff I really want in that arena someday.  Like crash course in brain surgery... that why some people join forums, to accelerate learning, not slow it down.  I not have multiple lifetimes to learn/do everything on bucket list, so I join to get help on things I need help and help others on what I can, as quickly as possible.

So that bring me to point. In some of my topics, help has been amazing... either getting me realize my stupid idea (profiling wheel perimeters for recurves) or like you perfectly explaining the T2-only rotary pizza cutter jig.  Yet other topics, like this one, just feels like there some reason for not getting what ask for at all, rather just vague reference to some things my post imply I already understand to that degree.

Clearly there some things I not understand as well, so please help me understand this... Have I been hitting some taboo topics or something? Does my communication need that much improvement? Since I train wreck sometimes, my topic simply become opportunity to issue official warnings for liability reasons for Tormek?

I [size=78%]have hard time believing I'm only one read this and thought what hell? I know I could use some brain surgery but I not complete idiot. So, just shoot straight with me and tell me what's up.  It not gonna offend me. I'll try fix what I can. I not trying cause any problems here, for anyone.   Just trying move forward.[/size]

I read probably thousands of posts here before I ever posted. So many awesome people here, with so much talent and collective experience, including yourself. I actually use the search try find existing answers before posting, unlike some others, yet get response like this.  What deal? Be real, tell me, please. If I need improve, I will, if I made aware of what need improve up on. Want me revert to quietly lurking or what?

I simply trying be direct. Trying figure out new puzzle created by reply, that all. Trying plan/ build a work area centered around Tormeks... is that another one of my mistake?

Naf

BeSharp,

Currently three 6'x2' benches in U shape with legs completely accessible except at connecting bench which against a wall. All I'm looking for is ballpark ranges of what others have found to be reasonable, in order plan possible layouts and try nail down bit without moving benches and everything around 18 times.

I was considering asking about bench height, since I currently sit on stool due to issues but I better not ask that... good thing benches adjustable height 28-36.  There was also something else like that I was gonna ask, but again, better not. Right now I'd rather dig out the standard honing wheel, poke holes in it with a chisel, then stand in my frozen yard wearing the honing wheel as a face mask so I not get sick, and throw the following at the old straw bale pile: harpoon, spear, then chisel. See, now this actually valid reason never sharpen harpoon and spears.

Don't take me wrong... Ken obviously said nothing "wrong"... it just my short term reaction... my blood pressure probably too high from being up all dam night trying find chisels. Once I down several Buspar calm me down, find that bottle of Vodka I sat down somewhere, and get back to sharpening the new scythe with the proper technique... everything will back to normal.

I'll try avoid posting anything else until slept or tomorrow.

Naf

Oh that right, I got be finding diagram somewhere or tearing apart month-old Tormek don't I; there no time for sleep and it already is tomorrow.

Naf

My sincere apologies for somewhat random psychobabble. I mean, I understand what I was saying, but maybe no one else did.

Point is, I simply misunderstood some things and my reaction was... strange. Not trying to find an excuse, but like I say... atypical... brain damage.

But this useful. I now have glimpse into maybe why family react me how they do when I up for days (completely unpredictable sleep patterns) focusing on minutiae most mortals not care about and forget to take my meds (because I think I already took them "today").  Have analyze this more later...

Again, I apologize for my ramblings / rant/ whatever that was.

Though I try prevent this, if happen again, it safe for somebody remind me... dude... go sleep!

Naf

Ken,

Given this context and my current state mind...

I do believe a word of caution regarding care with axes/ harpoons / spears is truly warranted! 

Or perhaps these post in topic already served as such.

Naf

and why I keep getting all these line breaks?!

Test
Test

Test

Test

Naf

Naf

That it. Did identically. 1st using Quick Reply at bottom.