News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Mezzaluna / round pizza cutter...

Started by Naf, January 02, 2022, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naf

Again, T newbie here... and apologies up front... not want upset anyone/ step on toes... maybe this wrong avenue for these two, if so tell me.

1. First sharpen test on T8 was mezzaluna pizza cutter in axe jig, swinging back and forth while holding against jig make hands cramp. Better way for these/ ulu blades? Way to pivot them?
2. Notice new pizza wheel jig for T2 only. What deal with that? I mean, my wife could come home with new $5 pizza wheel on any given day, but with all stuff I have, should be able sharpen it without accidentally raking it up my arm.  Not buying T2 just for this.   So, 1) Why not one of this for T8, and 2) How do these on T8 with jigs currently available, I guess, before she does spend $5 on new pizza wheel? Again, completely serious here.

cbwx34

Quote from: Naf on January 02, 2022, 06:58:20 PM
Again, T newbie here... and apologies up front... not want upset anyone/ step on toes... maybe this wrong avenue for these two, if so tell me.

1. First sharpen test on T8 was mezzaluna pizza cutter in axe jig, swinging back and forth while holding against jig make hands cramp. Better way for these/ ulu blades? Way to pivot them?
2. Notice new pizza wheel jig for T2 only. What deal with that? I mean, my wife could come home with new $5 pizza wheel on any given day, but with all stuff I have, should be able sharpen it without accidentally raking it up my arm.  Not buying T2 just for this.   So, 1) Why not one of this for T8, and 2) How do these on T8 with jigs currently available, I guess, before she does spend $5 on new pizza wheel? Again, completely serious here.

Forum member Rich Colvin has a website where he documents sharpening various items... take a look here...

https://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/GT-Rotary-Cutter.html

Some ideas for an Ulu...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3896
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Naf

Thank you.  Interesting.  Still evaluating.  Seemed sensible adding my mezzaluna have handle "parallel"/ centered to curved blade. Considering one have two handles, one each end of blade, and "perpendicular" to it.  So, with current one, was at least able use axe jig. With considered one, not sure.

Ken S

Naf,

Here is a link to the recently introduced Tormek round blade jig for the T2:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-Rotating-Blade-Jig-P1936.aspx

I have no inside information; however, I would not be surprised if it will also be manufactured for the T4 and T8.
As the price is $190US, if my wife needed her pizza cutter sharpened, I would just spend $5 and replace it or make one of the jigs Rich designed. Rich's jig works very well; however, it uses the Tormek gouge jig as a basis. Most woodturners probably already have this jig. If you needed to purchase the jig, it costs around $100. The $5 replacement is still a much better deal.

EDIT:
Here is a link to a shorter Tormek online class for the round blade jig;

https://youtu.be/OYsnJHLv060

Notice the part showing the honing wheel. If your cutter wheel is only slightly dull, you may be able to bring it back to sharpness using your honing wheel. Be sure to wear protective gloves.

Ken

John_B

I wonder if there would be more users that want the blade from meat cutters sharpened. My slicer has a built in stone that I can move in place to sharpen the blade. I have never used it because mine is low milage mainly used for cheese, jerky, corned beef and pastrami.

Ken, like you I look at a pizza cutter as disposable; how sharp do they really need to be anyway?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Naf

Mmmm... all this talk of good food making me hungry.

Thank you for the good info/ links.  Ken, I'm glad to hear you think the jig stands a chance of being released for other machines.   Not that I would necessarily pony up 200 in order of saving 5; obviously that jig would probably only make sense for either a commercial operation or maybe someone who eats a lot of pizza and has habit of cutting it on their driveway.  Cannot imagine enough family / friends wanting rotary cutter done to warrant owning one. Probably would however buy one for mezzaluna/ ulu. For me, making jig probably not an option.  2nd question in original post more result of concern Tormek may release more jigs excluding T8 after seeing that one, as well as simply feeling like with all the money already invested in sharpening equipment, I feel like should be able to sharpen them already.

Ken S

Naf,

We should consider the target market for the different Tormek models. The T4 and T8, what Tormek calls "the woodworking machines" are general purpose machines, designed to sharpen many tools, including knives. The T2 is in Tormek's "professional culinary" line. It is designed for and marketed to professional chefs and restaurants.

A restaurant owner, particularly one who owns several restaurants, probably has several pizza cutters and other round cutters. For these Tormek owners, the 200 investment would be cost effective. That's a very different story than for users like us with one pizza cutter. (Considering how often I have to finish cutting my pizza with a chef's knife, there seems to be no shortage of dull pizza cutters....)

Ken

Naf

Ken,

(Then there's that. Every time I open a box, I use one before attempting grabbing my slices. )

Regarding rest... Makes perfect sense now / eliminates concern.   Proper context and perspective often everything isn't it.  Thank you for that!