News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Is my new T-8 broken?

Started by gwagner, December 20, 2021, 03:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwagner

Today I was rehabilitating some chisels and switching back and forth from the coarse diamond stone to the 1,000 grit of the SG-250. As I was putting on the 250 during one switch-over I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the honing wheel seemed to shift ever so slightly to the left -- like the shaft had moved a bit. I didn't think anything of it until I turned on the machine.

The SG-250 stone didn't turn. The honing wheel, shaft and locking nut all spun, but the stone was flat up against the case and couldn't move.

I took off the 250 and assessed things and sure enough I can easily move the entire shaft left and right (it seems like I could completely pull it out of the machine if I wanted to). I'm wondering if I've lost a locking ring or something.

I took a photo of the shaft on the grinding wheel side and have attached it. Does anyone see anything wrong or missing?

Help!

gwagner

Never mind! Right after I hit <Post> I realized I could check a parts diagram and I saw that the stainless steel washer was missing. I headed down to the shop and looked around. Turns out it must have stuck to the diamond stone when I removed it from the shaft and then dropped off shortly after. I stand on a rubber mat, and the darn thing must have caught the beveled edge of the mat exactly right because it had rolled almost 15 feet away.

At least it ended well!

cbwx34

Quote from: gwagner on December 20, 2021, 03:58:06 AM
Never mind! Right after I hit <Post> I realized I could check a parts diagram and I saw that the stainless steel washer was missing. I headed down to the shop and looked around. Turns out it must have stuck to the diamond stone when I removed it from the shaft and then dropped off shortly after. I stand on a rubber mat, and the darn thing must have caught the beveled edge of the mat exactly right because it had rolled almost 15 feet away.

At least it ended well!

Glad you found it... just so you know (from your first post), you can actually pull the shaft completely out of the unit.  When you get a chance watch this video, it'll give you an idea how it's set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX96a9WoAJE
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)