News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bolster

Started by Smallfarmtown, January 03, 2022, 06:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallfarmtown

I am having trouble keeping my grind line even by the bolster. It gets wider next to the bolster. Loving my  T8.

cbwx34

Quote from: Smallfarmtown on January 03, 2022, 06:13:39 PM
I am having trouble keeping my grind line even by the bolster. It gets wider next to the bolster. Loving my  T8.

Got a picture?  (There's different reasons...).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Smallfarmtown

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 03, 2022, 06:49:32 PM
Quote from: Smallfarmtown on January 03, 2022, 06:13:39 PM

Got a picture?  (There's different reasons...).

Smallfarmtown

Thank You for taking the time to read.

Ken S

Rick,

Try slowing the process by grading your grinding wheel fine and using light grinding pressure. Check your progress frequently. Do not start with your mother-in-law's favorite knife :-\
With some practice you will get the result you want.

Ken

ps I emailed a screen shot of your question to the online class team in Sweden with the suggestion that this problem would be good to include in a future online class. (It never hurts to ask......)

Smallfarmtown

cbwx34

I think in this case, your getting too close to the handle... you're basically sharpening the ricasso area.  (On some knives, it's not well defined.)  It's usually a little thicker, which is why the bevel starts getting wider.

Easiest way to avoid it, in this case, just don't sharpen so far back, and then treat the ricasso like a bolster, and grind it 90 deg. as needed to keep it even with the rest of the blade.  (If it's a cheap knife, I just wouldn't worry, unless you want the practice).  You can also, with a little practice, start at a higher angle near the handle, and then let the knife drop down to the sharpening angle as you move away from the handle.

On other knives, especially EDC/pocket knives, or ones with a more defined ricasso, you can make a little sharpening choil or cutout (if it doesn't already have one) to prevent this and make it easier to sharpen.  (You could do it here too, but probably not practical).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Smallfarmtown

Thank You

Raising the handle is a great idea.

Naf

Adding sharpening choil great idea, for me. Why I never think this.  Angry with self. Thank you!

Naf

When adding sharpening choil/  cutout for this purpose, what method/ tool works best, as far leaving best looking results, for more expensive knives not want damage finish on? Hand file at 90 degrees? Alternative?