News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Finding the angle

Started by Pietje, November 11, 2021, 02:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pietje

Hey folks!
With my new T-8 I have a problem to find the right angle.
Putting the WM-200 on the blade, it shows the 20° Angle. With the same configuration I put a levelbox on the blade, the angle is around 50°.
What is the mistake?

Thanks
Pietje

cbwx34

Quote from: Pietje on November 11, 2021, 02:58:26 PM
Hey folks!
With my new T-8 I have a problem to find the right angle.
Putting the WM-200 on the blade, it shows the 20° Angle. With the same configuration I put a levelbox on the blade, the angle is around 50°.
What is the mistake?

Thanks
Pietje

My guess...

The WM-200 shows the angle in relation to the stone... the "levelbox" does not.  So if you're using the levelbox while the knife is on the stone, it will be incorrect.

(Use a calculator).... ↓ ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

micha

Hi Pietje,

the 20° on the WM-200 are (at least in theory) the angle between 

- the straight line between the very edge (apex) of the blade and the spine of the blade and
- the surface of the stone
It has nothing to do with the actual inclination of the blade.

A levelbox like the anglecube will always measure against a zero line, like a sprit level. You just measure the inclination of s.th.

The WM-200 would still work correctly if you would rotate the Tormek by 45°, while the Levelbox would give different results, right?

Did I get your question right?

Thus being said, the WM-200 is not the most accurate tool for setting up the grinding angle in knives, because it ignores the taper in most blades. Calculators are a better choice.

Stay sharp,
Mike

micha

Lol, CBW,
again we agree like cats and dogs.... :) :)

Pietje

Can you name two or three different ones.
One I tried with the mobile (SharpCalc) had a great different to the WM-200. A gap with 4mm.

Pietje

Pietje

Did I get your question right?
[/quote]
Oh yes, you are right.

[/quote]
Calculators are a better choice.
[/quote]
Can you name two or three? Is there one in german?
KnifeGrindersAustralia and Schleifjunkies did I found.
SharpCalc didnt stand the Test against WM-200.

Pietje

cbwx34

Quote from: micha on November 11, 2021, 03:30:16 PM
Lol, CBW,
again we agree like cats and dogs.... :) :)

Yeah... but you give a better answer. ;)

Quote from: Pietje on November 11, 2021, 03:47:04 PM

Can you name two or three different ones.
One I tried with the mobile (SharpCalc) had a great different to the WM-200. A gap with 4mm.

Pietje

The link in my signature is one...

https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/

... jvh's TormekCalc2 is another one I recommend...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.0

... it takes a bit to learn, but is pretty detailed.

Keep in mind what micha said, that the WM-200 doesn't account for blade taper angle from spine to edge so it will give an incorrect reading, and can be several degrees different.  The calculators give the actual angle of the edge to the stone.  I can guarantee that if used correctly, the calculator will give you the correct (and more accurate) answer.

p.s.  TormekCalc has a German translation... (you can change the language in the settings of the spreadsheet)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

micha

Quote from: Pietje on November 11, 2021, 03:47:04 PM
I'm tempted to say the WM-200 is probably wrong :)

CalcApp would be one to try (the link is above in CBW's signature, or TormekCalc2 by jvh (den gibt's auch in Deutsch) https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.msg29498#msg29498

Mike