News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Convex scissors

Started by Sharp In, October 31, 2006, 05:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharp In

Can the Tormek be use effectively to sharpen and hone convex style scissors,the type used in hair salons? Not just normal barber scissors.
I'm trying to defend the purchase of a Tormek because I like all of the other features and versitily.

Does anyone know of others that use the tormek for this purpose.

I'm thinking of starting a small sharpening service business and believe that the tormek might just be the one for a host of other applications, however salon scissors command top dollar for the service. Also what is the best way to learn how best to use the Tormek?

sbachner

Jeff will be along to help with the scissors question.

The best way to learn is to "just do it", ask questions, and then "just do it" again.  I believe Jeff has a scissors video here as well.

Jeff Farris

I have very successfully sharpened convex blade scissors by working the convex bevel on the leather honing wheel only.  No grinding needed. Approach the edge very carefully.  If you bring the angle too steep, you'll round the edge.  It takes some practice, but if you are a fair hand at using the TORMEK to hone knives, you can hone a convex scissor.
Jeff Farris

CWSNSONS

Dear Sharp In;

I second sbachner's comment: The best way to "learn" is to just do it!
  I saw Jeff's videos and said, "Hey, I can do that!"
  After buying our first Tormek with all the attachments and sharpening everything in the house including my wife's precious sewing scissors (you know about them by now, "Don't touch my sewing scissors...") I bought 2 plastic bins of knives from a Goodwill Store for $10.00 each, there were about 350+ knives all totaled (not bad for $20.00!).  We (my two daughters and I) used many of them to practice on and subsequently sold most of those knives at the market.  We began to set up at flea markets, etc. and taking in items at home to sharpen. At first it was kinda slow.  But once people know you're there, you have a system that can do a better job than they have ever been able to do or get done elsewhere, and you are going to be there consistently, they will bring you big knives, scissors, planer blades, meat slicers, etc. then you will really get busy.  There's more money in those items than in just the pocket knives that people have in their pockets.  We bought another T2006 within 6 months, and have recently added yet a third machine (a year and a half after the first one) as we get pretty swamped at the monthly market we go to. That allows us to, say, leave one machine set up for scissors, etc. and still be able to do straight edged items on the two others.  These three machines helped us bring in over $15,000 from our home shop (a 12x16 minibarn) and on-site at markets last year.
   We've bought additional SV-45's, Grindstones, bushings, a spare shaft, honing wheel, etc. and lots of honing compound (we've even sold tubes of honing compound to customers as they see what a good job it does cleaning and polishing).  One thing you may find is if you bear down too hard on the grindstone, the drive wheel hub (plastic) may crack in a line with the roll pin.  It can still be used some, but I ordered an extra, and am looking into having an aluminum hub made for the rubber tire.
   It all started with a machine that allowed me to get CONSISTENT results, some stuff to practice on, and a lot of people who were ready to give us a chance by working on THEIR knife, scissors, etc.  And a lot of credit goes to my two daughters who have pushed up their sleeves and helped in every aspect of the business. The only thing they don't like doing is the very small knife blades, they usually leave that for me  :-\.
  As far as your original question about the convex scissors, they can be done. Even though I have ground them on the stone, It seems Jeff's suggestion may be the best way.  I visited AriusEickert in Ohio last month.  There Uwe, the president (he and his vice-president brother, Ramon are decendents of Old World German Cutlers), explained a lot about that type of shear. When they do their final assembly, they sharpen on a diamond inpregnated pad wheel. If you sharpen on the stone you risk destroying the unique geometry that makes these true convex shears work the way they do. Take your time, think it through then try it out. Remember, these scissors run anywhere from $70 to $450, and most people who have them rely on them for their income.
  Wish you well in you endeavours!
  And Thanks, Torgney for the machine and Jeff for your helpful instructions and demonstrations.