News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How sharp can you go on the standard setup?

Started by antrichards, November 08, 2021, 11:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on January 03, 2022, 05:23:28 AM
I am a long time user and believer in BESS testing. However, for everyday knife sharpening, I believe the most practical testing is a combination of copy paper and how the knife performs at the cutting board.

Ken

Ken, I have found that copier paper is too easy to cut as it is thicker. A better test in my opinion are thermal receipts and newsprint from the weekly adds that come in the mail from the grocery stores.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

John_B

For the BESS tester I think using a small weight to tension the line will make your testing more repeatable. It will also remove the variable from a slacker or overly tight line.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Naf

It my understanding from conversation with Mike Brubacher that why they added washer in test base, decrease possibility of over tension wire, so test results automatically more consistent because tension more consistent.  Am I wrong?   (With much less fine dexterity in finger now, there no way I could manage add weight to tiny little string/ wire/ whatever. )

Setarip

Quote from: john.jcb on January 03, 2022, 08:19:31 PM
Quote from: Ken S on January 03, 2022, 05:23:28 AM
I am a long time user and believer in BESS testing. However, for everyday knife sharpening, I believe the most practical testing is a combination of copy paper and how the knife performs at the cutting board.

Ken

Ken, I have found that copier paper is too easy to cut as it is thicker. A better test in my opinion are thermal receipts and newsprint from the weekly adds that come in the mail from the grocery stores.

I use the rizla green rolling paper for me general tests. If your knife can cleanly slice rizla then it is quite sharp. Sharpen enough to shave arm hair effortlessly.

John_B

Quote from: Naf on January 07, 2022, 12:18:36 PM
It my understanding from conversation with Mike Brubacher that why they added washer in test base, decrease possibility of over tension wire, so test results automatically more consistent because tension more consistent.  Am I wrong?   (With much less fine dexterity in finger now, there no way I could manage add weight to tiny little string/ wire/ whatever. )

You are correct.
An easy way to use the small weight for the string is to tie it to a light metal binder clip. If tying knots is difficult  a twist tie would work just as well.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Naf

John, could you please explain what you talking about a bit further? I not envisioning any of this, but really want to.  (Sorry... I playing a bit of catch up back to beginning of January posts.)  I have hard enough time just getting the little string in the right spot, and think I'm getting pretty consistent tnesion (in part due to the washer), but would really like to always get identical tension (such as always "hooking" the same weight to it and always tightening same as possible).  I do have binder clips / twist ties... just no clue what you're talking about... which I'm sure is proably my fault.  (And to whomever might suggest... yes, I do also have some of the pre-made test clips.)

Sir Amwell

You can buy a bulldog clip fridge magnet and a 100g weight. Attach the weight to the magnet. Then clip it to the test line and let it hang before tightening. Easy and takes out any inconsistencies or fiddliness.

John_B

Here is a short video on how to set the tension the same each time. I would look for the BESS recomended tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxDYqJibMz8&t=334s
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Naf

YESSS... now I get... twist tie to connect weight to clip... then pinch clip and use its tension grab loose end of string. Can also be used to get string in right place. That gonna be SO much easier than trying grab string with these fat dumb fingers!  I often have found very complicated things much easier to understand than some things that prove be so simple!  Thank you both! See, I knew was my fault...