News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Sharpening Wheels For Beginners

Started by Smallfarmtown, October 24, 2021, 01:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallfarmtown

I am very close buying my an T8. I am a beginner. There are so many wheel options. I am leaning towards the basic set up. Then I can ad more later. Or should I start out with a diamond wheel?

cbwx34

Quote from: Smallfarmtown on October 24, 2021, 01:42:45 AM
I am very close buying my an T8. I am a beginner. There are so many wheel options. I am leaning towards the basic set up. Then I can ad more later. Or should I start out with a diamond wheel?

My vote:  unless you have a specific need... start with the standard wheel. 
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I second CB's vote. The SG-250 supplied with the T8 has been the go to for many years.

Ken

tgbto

I would also add a personal opinion : I like the feedback of the standard wheel much better than the diamond one.

RickKrung

I agree with the comments about starting with the standard wheel - and spend a good bit of time with it, learning how to work with it, truing, grading, etc. and learning how to use the jigs. 

tgbto, your comment about the feedback struck a chord with me.  I didn't realize it, but I do miss that about using the diamond and CBN wheels. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

My thoughts exactly. Almost all of the tools and knives I sharpen are carbon or stain resistant carbon steel. These are a natural fit for the "SuperGrind" SG aluminum oxide wheels. I appreciate the superabrasive wheels for high speed steel and more exotic alloys; however, most of us live in the carbon steel world. I certainly do.

While I have several diamond and CBN wheels, my go to wheel has always been my SG.

Ken

Smallfarmtown

Thank You so much for you input. Like my dad used to say (Kiss) keep it simple stupid.  I am trying to over think everything.