News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

nth fixed angle knife jig ?

Started by tgbto, September 26, 2021, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Hello !

I had been thinking for a while that maybe one could use both the horizontal and vertical USBs as support for a fixed angle knife jig.

Obviously this is a rough first prototype, it wouldn't make sense to have it made of wood but I don't have a CNC to shape metal, it needs to be clamped to the vertical USB so it doesn't slide...

Plus the sides could be made thinner to get the heel of the blade closer to the stone, it could even be open on one side to get as close to the stone as desired : with two pairs of bearings instead of the rough stops shown here, you could slide the jig along the USB instead of the knife AND flip it to work on the other side...

Well you get the idea. Maybe it has already been thought of and discarded, but I couldn't find it.

Cheers!

Nick.

micha

Quote from: tgbto on September 26, 2021, 05:15:02 PM

Well you get the idea. Maybe it has already been thought of and discarded, but I couldn't find it.

Hi Nick,

quite contrary - this is pretty much what Tormek did with the SVP-80, only that it's a bit wider, but just adding some plate on top of it could fix that.

The suitable knife jig might be more challenging, because of knives having handles, bolsters, and curved edges in particular. But it's a fascinating idea. Thinking along the lines of "open on one side" will be necessary, I suppose. Two open sides would be even better :) - could possibly be achieved by notching the side rails.

Now you've put me into construction mode....  ;D 
Mike

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on September 26, 2021, 05:15:02 PM
Hello !

I had been thinking for a while that maybe one could use both the horizontal and vertical USBs as support for a fixed angle knife jig.

Obviously this is a rough first prototype, it wouldn't make sense to have it made of wood but I don't have a CNC to shape metal, it needs to be clamped to the vertical USB so it doesn't slide...

Plus the sides could be made thinner to get the heel of the blade closer to the stone, it could even be open on one side to get as close to the stone as desired : with two pairs of bearings instead of the rough stops shown here, you could slide the jig along the USB instead of the knife AND flip it to work on the other side...

Cheers!

Nick.

Looks like a spinoff of Herman's "Homemade Knife Rest".

The only problem you might have to overcome I think you've already touched on... with most knives, you need to be able to get next to the edge of the stone.  Having a platform that extends beyond the edges will get in the way, so it might be easier to take a look at the Knife Rest.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)