News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SG1200 jig compatibility

Started by Wkmiller79, September 21, 2021, 11:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wkmiller79

Hello All
I have recently bought a second hand SG1200 as my first sharpening system. Is this old model still compatible with all the current jigs, I am thinking particularly of the svd 186 gouge jig?
Thanks
Will

micha

Will,
welcome to the forum.

Yes, the gouge jig and others will work with your system. (I can't think of one that wouldn't.)
This older thread may also be interesting for you.

Mike

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Will.

One of my Tormek regrets is that I am a relative latecomer. My first Tormek was a T7 purchased in 2009. I was doing woodwork in the 1970s and 80s. For some reason I was unaware of the Tormek. I was using oilstones. In fact, the only pre T7 I have ever seen is Rich Colvin's SuperGrind. Instead of direct knowledge, I have concentrated on "book knowledge" to learn about the older Tormeks, mostly from studying my collection of older editions of the handbook.
I find the history and development of the Tormek fascinating.

If I had to choose between a new Tormek with older jigs and an older Tormek with new jigs, the new jigs choice would win hands down. I have often posted that I consider the combination of the SVD-186 (now Revised version) in combination with the TTS-50 to be Tormek's most advanced combination. It will work with any model Tormek. For the record, before the 186, I considered the 185 combination the champ. Of all the new jigs I have reviewed, I consider the 186 the one I would recommend for users happily using the 185.

One of the several design improvements of the 186 was shortening the shaft to allow full swing with the smaller diameter Tormek models.

Enjoy your Tormek!

Ken

Wkmiller79

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm starting to get familiar with the machine and have a gouge jig on the way.