News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Ideal initial loadout for mobile knife sharpening?

Started by Mitch, July 28, 2021, 12:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

Hi all,

First post here. I'm an ex-butcher/knife sharpener, previously used the KME system for work knives alongside whatever gear was available. Looking at starting a mobile sharpening service now that I have some restaurants really interested in my service. In terms of volume, I think I'd be seeing maybe 3-4 restaurants per week in the early days, 10-15 knives in a session, and work on private customer knives in between that. Not massive volume, not small volume.

Machine: I'm currently trying to decide between a Tormek T4, T8, or more likely, the Tiger 2500. It seems like if I went with the Tiger, I could focus most initial startup on stones, and be the right size for the T8. Would the T4 be a viable option for this volume, or would the T8 be the definitively best machine long term?

Stones: I love the idea of the Japanese waterstone for offering a mirror edge, but I've read here that it's not necessarily the best option for kitchen knives. What 2-3 stones would you want at your side if you were mobile, working on chef knives, and wanted to offer a mirror edge? Obviously training and practice will precede this, but I'd like to be offering a minimum of 100 BESS, aiming for around 65 BESS when skills get me there.

I love the stuff I've been reading from Knife Grinders Australia, and I'll hopefully eventually incorporate all I can from them (BESS Scales, their wheels, etc). If there are specific wheels here that would work great alongside Tormek (or even completely KGA wheels) I'm fine with that. I've previously used the KME Diamond stones which I loved, so don't have a problem going that way on wheels. And their honing/deburring wheels seem to be at the top of the list as well.

Appreciate any thoughts, even links to previous threads you think might be helpful.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Mitch. You have an ambitious plan for your mobile sharpening business. You are fortunate indeed if your restaurant customers are willing to pay for such a high level of sharpening.

I would suggest that you make several practice runs at home before actually bringing your new machine to a customer's location. That will also give you an idea of the typical time involved in sharpening each knife and work through any "bugs". Sharpening at your proposed level will require substantial time and capital investment.

We have an informal policy on this forum of not discussing products of Tormek's competitors. I have no personal experience with any of the clon machines, so I really can't offer any informed comments about them. I have used both the T4 and T8 for many years, so I will share my thoughts on them. Both are professional quality machines built for many years of reliable service.

You can safely ignore the "30 minute duty caution" with the T4. This refers to a caution on the earlier T3 model with possible overheating due to the all plastic housing. Tormek correct this situation with the redesigned housing of the T4. The precision machined zinc housing both acts like a radiator to cool the motor and substantially improves the accuracy of the machine. Tormek later incorporated this machined zinc top into the T8. The T4 will still be going strong long after you are tired.

If your mobile service is really mobile, the T4 may be ideal for you. Speaking as a seventy one year old, at half the weight of the T8, the T4 is much easier to hand carry.
Also, the 120 watt motor can work with a smaller generator or invertor than the 200 watt T8 motor. Depending on your setup, these may or may not matter.

All of the jigs work with either model.

The main difference is the difference in the diameter of the grinding wheels. The smaller wheels are the same diameter (200mm / 8 inches) as the commonly used dry grinders. I don't consider the diameter difference critical.
The SJ 4000 grit wheel is available in both sizes. Tormek will be introducing a new set of three diamondwheels for the T4 this fall, so the selection of grinding wheels avail is essentially the same. (Note, that the SB-250 silicon carbide wheel is not available in the smaller diameter. With the availability of diamond wheels, this is not really such a big deal.)

Although many sharpening services are chugging along quite nicely with the T4, my personal recommendation for a sharpening business would be to start with a T8. The T8 is designed for heavy duty day in day out professional sharpening. There are many earlier versions of the T8 still in regular service after twenty years.
Unlike your vehicle, they require minimal service and rarely break down. The commercial use warranty for the T8 is eight years. Tormek's warranty service is iron clad.

I would suggest starting with just the T8 with either the SG-250 or SB-250. Master it. You may find this combination sufficient for your needs.You can always add on later if you wish.

Good luck with your new business venture and keep us posted. Make sure to watch the Two Tormek free online knife sharpening classes and also the bushcraft online class. (The bushcraft model is a T4 in green instead of blue.)

Ken

John_B

Ken, Did you mean "and" instead of "or" here?

"I would suggest starting with just the T8 with either the SG-250 or SB-250. Master it. You may find this combination sufficient for your needs.You can always add on later if you wish."

I can see the SB-250 where more aggressive metal removal is required but it will not replace the SG-250 graded fine.

For the majority of knives you will be given in a commercial kitchen you can easily achieve an extremely sharp edge with just the SG-250 and the leather wheel. If done right the knives will be sharper than new.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good point, John.

I use the SG-250, although, my original knife sharpening guru, Steve Bottorff, switched to the SB for more longevity.
Steve also showed me the weights he used to hold down his folding roof cover at the farmers market, EIGHT worn out SG-250s!
My other knife sharpening guru, Stig Reitan, uses the SG-250. I guess there are no losers in the ztormek lineup.

Ken

Mitch

Hi guys,

Appreciate both the replies! Apologies for the tardiness, got off track with other ventures.

I'm going to be buying the T8 this coming week so that I can jump in and get started.

Aside from the Japanese Waterstone, is there anything else I could add into the process after the SG-250 so I can offer a mirror-polished edge to those who ask for it? I ask because I have a number of potential customers wanting flashy display knives worked on, so I will be asked. Could the SG-250 be graded higher than 1000 grit using a different grading stone, glass or other? Or, could an additional leather wheel loaded with a different compound get me there?

I can afford to extend the budget a bit past just the T8 since I'm getting a loan from family to start this as an honest business from day 1, just need to give them a final figure of what I want to borrow and I'm in business.

Hope you're all doing well!

cbwx34

Unless you know your "polished edge" business will exceed your "restaurant sharpening" business, personally, I'd invest in a belt sander for repairs, reprofiles, etc. before a SJ wheel.  The stock wheel can do a lot, and a belt sander is a good addition to the process.  Polishing can come a bit later, IMO.

I'd spend some time looking at Steve Bottorff's website and videos... he ran a sharpening business for years based around the Tormek, but with other machines....  https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/

You might also look thru posts on the Facebook Tormek group... there's some business sharpeners there who occasionally post, and might spark some ideas...  https://www.facebook.com/groups/272080627062383
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)