News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather knife sharpening?

Started by Sharpco, September 05, 2021, 07:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Quote from: RickKrung on September 07, 2021, 05:55:21 AM
This is what came to my mind.  I suspect the protrusion would be too great, but maybe the USB can be raised high enough to compensate. 

Great idea!

RickKrung

Quote from: Sharpco on September 08, 2021, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: RickKrung on September 07, 2021, 05:55:21 AM
This is what came to my mind.  I suspect the protrusion would be too great, but maybe the USB can be raised high enough to compensate. 

Great idea!

Worth a try.  One thing that concerned me about this method, or any using either of the SVM jigs, is keeping the face of the bevel square and straight.  That is why I like better the idea of clamping flat bars across the back of the blade, but the short protrusion remains a problem. 

After a little thought and digging around my shop, this is what I've come up with. 

Long, flat plate with a fence clamped at the top to guide the setup along the USB, keeping it all square, without pivoting or lifting.  The thicker, smaller plate at the bottom is to allow clamping the knife's blade against, which would be captured by the two clamps there.  The knife and fence can be squared up using small squares.  The longer plate provides enough protrusion to achieve a shallow enough angle, in combination with the USB height.  The sharpie represents the leather knife.  Some type of small "C" clamps would work.  The aluminum angle is a cutoff from a longer bar bought at a hardware store.  The long, flat plate doesn't have to be metal (actually none of it does), just sturdy enough to maintain shape and stay relatively flat. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.