News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to correct slightly oval grindingstone SG-250

Started by sharp, September 03, 2021, 11:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharp

Hi, new to this wonderful world of Tormek I have a question for my equally new T8 with the SG-250 grindingstone. When I set the universal support just above the stone and i turn it with my hand i notice that at a certain area it touches the stone, making a scraping sound. Is this 'oval' shape of any influence on the grinding/sharpening and does the TT-50 also help getting the SG-250 perfectly round?

Love to hear your opinion

RichColvin

Joppe,

You need to true the stone.  And then pay close attention when removing or re-attaching the stone.  This describes what I am saying better :  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/Grindstones-Affixing.html

Kind regards,
Rich

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Sharp.

Use your TT-50 Truing Tool, making a very light cut. (just half of a microadjust number) You may need more than one pass. You can hear and feel when the truing cut goes from intermittent to continuous. Once it is continuous, stop. your wheel is true.

In a perfect world, every grinding wheel would leave the factory perfectly true. In the real world, a bit of tweaking helps us reach perfection.

Note: use the Truing Tool only with the SG, SB, and SJ wheels. It will damage diamond (or CBN) wheels.

Keep us posted.

Ken

tgbto

Rich, your handbook is a trove of useful and interesting information. Thanks for gathering all of it and digesting it for us!

Quote from: RichColvin on September 03, 2021, 11:15:49 AM
Joppe,

You need to true the stone.  And then pay close attention when removing or re-attaching the stone.  This describes what I am saying better :  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/Grindstones-Affixing.html

Kind regards,
Rich

sharp

Thank you Rich and Ken for the fast help and very usefull points of attention. And I am also very happy that you share your knowledge so generous and for free with your handbook Rich! 

RichColvin

I am glad it is useful.   If there is something you think I should add or correct, do let me know.

As Seneca so aptly noted,

Nothing will ever please me, no matter how excellent or beneficial, if I must retain the knowledge of it to myself. And if wisdom were given me under the express condition that it must be kept hidden and not uttered, I should refuse it. No good thing is pleasant to possess, without friends to share it.
From Seneca the Younger's "Moral Letters" to Lucilius, letter 6 titled, "On Sharing Knowledge"

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S