News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

fixing a bent gouge

Started by gfvermont, August 24, 2021, 01:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfvermont

First time using a 186R jig and I wound up with "wings" on the sides of my bent gouge...I didn't sharpen it evenly. I looked over the various videos and I know what I did wrong. My question what is the best way to repair the edge and start over? Even better, maybe someone has a video link that will show me how the repair is done?
Thanks

micha

Gene,

you may find a lot of information in Rich Colvin's excellent Sharpening Handbook (https://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/WW-CarvingGouge.html), and many links to relevant videos, too.

I guess you'll need to straighten the edge of your bent gouge to remove the unwanted wings/camber on a flat stone, diamond plate or the side of the wheel, (like restoring the 'horseshoe'- shape in a bowl gouge.) Then sharpen the edge carefully avoiding the previous mistakes. ;) Sometimes the SVS-50 can be a better choice.  (I once ruined a gouge chisel that was probably too short for the 186R, but the above procedure helped.)

Mike

gfvermont

thanks Mike. I'll check out the site

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Gene.

I don't know how much of this applies to your situation; however, here are some thoughts:

Most carving tools are made of carbon steel and don't have a lot of steel to be ground away. The traditional three step sharpening approach may remove too much steel, especially during the learning phase. My instinct is to go slow in these circumstances. I would probably start no coarser than the SG graded very fine.

The other thought is about the gouge jig. I have long thought that the 186R and the TTS-100 are Tormek's most advanced setup/jig combination. In addition to the jig setting, projection slots, and two distance setting holes, there is a fourth less controllable option. The amount of swing effects the shape of the wings.

Good luck repairing your bent gouge.

Ken

gfvermont

thanks for the advice Ken. I wound up setting the gouge in the 186 R as instructed (reread the instructions and video again). Although I rotated the gouge as instructed, I concentrated on the ends. As a result I was able to get back to the original shape, or pretty close to it.
As a newbie to the T-8, I do find it takes a bit to develop the right technique. However, even while still in the learning stage, my tools have never been sharper. I found that some gouges that I more or less had given up on, now are my go to ones again. It's making carving a pleasure.
I do find that getting the right angle using the marker technique a bit tricky...but still working on it.
Saw a previous post of yours and went back to a basic wood chisel to practice on. It does help. Thanks again.