News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TT-50 Directions

Started by Matt Rabe, December 17, 2006, 10:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Rabe

???  Where and when can we get the directions for the new stone truing tool?  I'm a newbie.

Jeff Farris

If you have the TT-50, a complete set of illustrated instructions is in the box.
Jeff Farris

Matt Rabe

If I could read french, swedish, or the other languages I could.  The box doesn't have that  good of details.  Thought they might be posted on one of the web sites.

I think I figured it out.  But wanted a better refernce, to refer to.

Jeff Farris

The second section of the book is English. The directions are the same in each language, and they seemed very complete to me.  I'll outline the fundamentals here, but you should find the English section of the book and look at it with the illustrations.

1) Slide the TT-50 onto the Universal Support and align the notch around the inside leg (the one that is threaded). Lock the knob that secures the TT-50 to the Universal Support.

2) Adjust the Universal Support up or down until the diamond tip is just resting on the surface of the grindstone. Run the micro-adjust nut down to the top of the sleeve.

3) Turn the screw feed knobs until the diamond tip is off the grindstone.

4) Adjust the micro-adjust nut higher on the leg so that the Universal Support moves down, or closer to the grindstone.  You should adjust it by approximately 1/6 of a revolution. Now, lock the Universal Support.

5) Start the machine and turn the feed knobs, which moves the diamond tip over the stone. If at any point the diamond tip does not contact the grindstone, you need to move the Universal Support down more and make another pass.
Jeff Farris

Matt Rabe

Okay, I'm a dummy.  I did find the english directions finally.  But still have a question.  When I saw Jeff at the show, with the old truing tool he talked about truing from the outside of the stone to the center, to prevent chipping.  You could lift slightly on the univeral support end and then work back in from the edge.  Shouldn't you still do this?  It may take longer but safer for the stone.

Jeff Farris

If you're taking a deep cut, it might be advisable not to feed the cutter off the edge. One solution is to not take quite as deep a cut. The recommendation is not to lower the Universal Support more than one half turn of the micro-adjust nut, when referenced to the highest point of the stone. But that half turn is a pretty deep cut.  If you slow your feed rate as you approach the edge, you should avoid chipping your stone.  If you want to feed from both directions, when you get about a 1/4 inch from the edge, stop, unlock the Universal Support, lift it up -- but don't touch the micro-adjust nut, spin the feed screw to shift the tip to the outside of the stone, drop the Universal Support back down onto the micro-adjust nut, lock the Universal Support, start the machine and feed the cutter into the stone from the other direction.
Jeff Farris