News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a Tormek tool for squaring chisels and plane blades

Started by Ken S, August 16, 2021, 10:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have read many posts complaining about chisels and plane blades being ground out of square. Tormek makes an easy to use solution accessory for this problem. Unfortunately, this very useful tool is "misfiled" for chisel and plane blade users. The Turning Tool Setter (TTS-100) is useful for more than turning tools. Attached are links to the Tormek accessory page for the TTS-100 and the online class where this tool is demonstrated(starting at one hour and seven minutes). Ironically, this accessory for squaring edges is shown being used with a skew chisel. Here are the links:

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/other-accessories/tts-100-turning-tool-setter/

https://youtu.be/7aHmc43RUY4

I started using the TTS-100 with chisels and plane blades in 2010. It preceeded my kenjig by several years as a tool for quickly and accurately duplicating jig setting. Holes A and B provide two useful accurate Distance settings for setting the distance between the universal support bar and the grinding wheel. Tormek's patented two metal wheels make this Distance constant regardless of changes in wheel diameter. I placed a piece of blank adhesive label tape in one of the three Projection slots. After setting a chisel with tha Anglemaster to my desired bevel angle (25°), I used a fine tipped marker to establish the Projection and noted the angle. I found this method, using the TTS-100 faster than using the Anglemaster.

I was unaware of using the TTS-100 to mark square lines until I saw Wolfgang Hess demomstrate it during the linked online class. This is another example of how parts of the online classes are not limited to their intended primary functions. We can learn a lot by studying all of the Tormek online classes.

Ken

tgbto

Hey Ken,

Thanks for mentioning this ! I do not have the TTS-110, but I already have a machinist square with a raised edge, I tried using it this way and it works a charm...

Many thanks,

Nick.

Ken S

Nick,

Your square does the same thing. Square is square.

Ken

tgbto

Right, yet I didn't think of using it the way it is used in the video : before that I used a small square with one arm roughly along the radius of the stone. Now the raised edge is more or less perpendicular to the radius. I guess it gives a better average this way.