News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

tormek 2000 with supergrind wheel running out of true

Started by Paul howell, August 05, 2021, 09:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul howell

Hello all, and thank you for accepting me. I am 62yrs old. when i was 30 i was advised to take up a hobby, woodwork cabinet making and turning seemed to fit the bill. thus i set about sorting out a workshop and tools. A tormek 2000 and a comprehensive set of the then available jigs. After a few years I lost interest in wood and started playing with classic cars, but i never really developed the skill to work metal. I am now returning to wood, and re-eqipping my workshop items i had let go lathe bandsaw etc.

so i got my old Tormek out and dusted it off, switched it on and it worked fine, so I started to look on line and discovered how much tormek had moved on. Since i plan to some turning and carving, (I very much feel a rocking horse coming on) I looked at the updated gouge jig, a vast improvement on the SVS40. So i purchased an SVD186R, TTS100 and the 100XB horizontal base. So here is my problem. The fitting instructions for the 100XB require it to be squared from the stone, however my stone runs like a buckled wheel, with a side to side movement in excess of 2mm. My first thoughts were the shaft, so I stripped the machine down. The shaft is the original and was straight and true, The stone sides are 90 degrees to the face. I cleaned the rust from the washers and they are now flat, however on the label side of the stone there apperars to be a shim stroke washer adhered to tyhe wheel which is somewhat rusted. I am not sure if that is an issue however as the wobble on the wheel has always been there, in fact I bought an ADV 50D in the nineties and was told all i needed was to tue it up with that, so assummed the wobble was normal. Has anyone experienced similar problems or have any solutions.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

You are fortunate that your grinder is a Tormek. One of the areas of Tormek is its outstanding support staff. (support@tormek.se). I suspect you may receive several replies recommending replacing various parts, including the nylon bushings, stone washer, drive wheel, main shaft, or grinding wheel. Or, that you try loosen the grinding wheel and rotating it 90ยบ before retightening it. With the exception of the wheel rotating procedure, any of these procedures, which involve purchasing parts, can become expensive. (Auto mechanics call this kind of troubleshooting "playing elimination").

Several of our members (not me) have encountered similar problems with their Tormek over the years. I don't know of any members who have corrected this on more than one machine. By contrast, Tormek support has diagnosed and facilitated repairs on many machines over the years. Tormek only manufactures its wet grinders; all of its expertise is focused on them. Before you purchase any replacement parts, email support.

The three jigs and accessories you have purchased are wisely chosen. They are representative of the best of Tormek's ongoing innovation. The XB-100 increases the scope of the Tormek by adding the possibility of grinding away from the edge. In my opinion, the SVD-186R and TTS-100 are Tormek's most advanced pair of setting tool and jig. You would find the latest universal support bar (US-105) with the microadjust feature and the latest truing tool, the TT-50 (get the 2019 revision) substantial improvements.

Two things should be your first order of business:
1) contact support
2) register your T2000 online (tormek.com). Although your warranty has expired, registering yout Tormek gives you access to the latest edition of the handbook. I suggest downloading it onto your computer device (just like support, no charge). I downloaded it onto my ipad and refer to it often.

Keep us posted; you are among friends.

Ken

Paul howell

Thank you Ken, the tool support with micro adjuster is on my shopping list, however resolving my current issue is my  priority, I have swapped the nylon bushes side to side with no apparent difference, and I contactated support yesterday before joining this forum, which i suspect will turn out to be a very good move.

Ken S

Paul, you are off to a good start in the right direction!

I don't know if it will effect the response time of support; however, Sweden is now in the middle of the traditional Scandinavian long vacation period. If so, be patient, the service is worth the wait.

Ken