News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My Daughter's Knives

Started by John_B, May 18, 2021, 06:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_B

My daughter and her family were recently at the National Cheerleading Championships where my eldest granddaughter competed. They did not win but were in the top 5 in the nation. While they were away we took care of their guinea pigs. I decided that their knives were in need of sharpening so I rounded them up and put a nice edge on everything. Using Wootz's chart I would put them all at <100 BESS. When they came back I told her to be careful as everything was sharp.

Early yesterday I got a call that she had sliced her finger and wanted to let me know. She said she got distracted while cutting and let the edge slide across her thumb. She did not feel the cut but saw the blood when she looked down.

Please try and impress on your customers how sharp their knives are and their full attention is required like when using a power tool.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RichColvin

I also warn against sharpening when the grandkids are around. Mine showed up and I got distracted for only a moment but that was long enough to get a trip to the emergency room for 9 stitches.   :-\
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

John_B

Quote from: RichColvin on May 19, 2021, 12:15:05 AM
I also warn against sharpening when the grandkids are around. Mine showed up and I got distracted for only a moment but that was long enough to get a trip to the emergency room for 9 stitches.   :-\

When my 2 are over (8 & 10) we have knife skill classes while they help me prepare their meals. It's gratifying to see them make their own food at home using what they have learned.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

tgbto

One thing I learned over the years is that some people don't like their knives sharp. Driving a wedge through a carrot with a knife that's as blunt as a screwdriwer is just fine with them because that's the only thing they've worked with. So they put a lot of pressure, and when things go awry, as they often do with blunt knives, then they usually end up with more of a bruise than a cut.

Using sharp knives requires a change of paradigm for them, which requires time and effort, and therefore willingness to do so. So what I do is first ask them if they are willing to give it a try. My mother waited a full 10 years before she agreed to it. I have them then use my not-so-fancy knives at my place and under supervision, so they can get a feel of what to expect, and only if they feel like it do I then sharpen their knives.

I will never again sharpen knives belonging to someone who didn't ask for it, with the certainty that they will be enlightened. This way when they cut themselves up, they know it's part of the learning curve and the price to pay for enjoying a sharp knife every time they use it. Plus it's usually a clean cut that steristrips handle damn well ;)

As for my 4 years old, he is happy to use this knife and no longer needs the finger guard as he learnt to "claw" his fingers, and to be wary of the edge. This knife is really sharp for a kid knife, but will be forgiving enough when **it happens. And it teaches them the basics of how to hold a knife.

John_B

Tgb My daughter wants her knives sharp but she finds it difficult to bring them to me. I took the opportunity to sharpen them when they were out of town I had to visit their house a couple of times. My daughter grew up using sharp knives and is quite skilled, however, inattention will get you.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

capt rich

My wife doesn't like sharp knives. Paring knife to cut steak, fillet knife to cut carrots etc. The whole idea of warning labels stems for inattention. People have forgotten to pay attention to what they are doing at the time. I really concentrate when I am using power equipment.  Hate all the warning labels on everything, stupid.