News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek SA 250 motor issue

Started by Guelgo, April 27, 2021, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guelgo

Hi everyone,

I recently inherited an old machine from my grand father, a Tormek SA 250.
After few tries, everything was looking fine. I decided then to give it a clean. However, impossibe to remove the bolt on the grinding stone side.
Anyway, the gringing stone had a wabble so I decide to rectify it. Started doing it and after 2 or 3 mins, the motor slowed down until the point it definitely stopped.
I switched off then switched on again -> it was so slow that I can stop the wheel with 1 finger and almost no pressure at all.
I made a video to show it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnZ6ckzHPc

I tried again today. After 20 sec, the motor still doesn't work and becomes quite hot.

Is it what I think it is --> the end life for this motor? Are there replacement motors than can be found somewhere?
Is there anything i can try to do to save it?

Thank you for the help.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Gueigo.

I suggest that you email Tormek support. (support@tormek.se). They have lots of experience dealing with older motor issues and are very helpful.

Ken

Guelgo

Guelgo

Hi all,

Just giving a quick feedback on this matter!
The motor issue was the capacitor itself.

I received a new capacitor from Sweden and it works now like a new one.
I had very difficult times truing the stone (as it had a groove of about 6mm in the middle of the stone and I have no TT-50) but I eventually managed to get where I wanted!
It is so satisfying being able to use it now :)

Particular thanks to Stig & Mats! You clearly deserve the best customer service award!