News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Spokeshave Blades

Started by Segovia123, July 13, 2020, 12:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a T4, I have owned a Worksharp for a few years and find it very hard to get the fine grade replacement disk pads. 

I'll continue to use the Worksharp which is good at getting an initial bevel on old tools using 80/120 grit etc.     

I am a hobbyists weekend woodworker and would use it for planes, spokeshaves and chisels.  Will the SE77 handle the short spokeshave blades?

Regards

John     

Ken S

Segovia123,

The short length constraint with the SE-77 and chisels is caused by the flaring out of the chisel for the socket. A flat spokeshave blade won't have that constraint. You should be good to go. You may want to use the marler method to set your bevel angle.

One thing I learned from the online class is that the SE-77 side facing the grinding wheel is tapered to allow extra clearance, an excellent idea.

The cambering feature of the SE-77 is useful for plane blades.

Keep us posted!

Ken

Ken S

Follow up: Duplicating your question, I put the blade from my Stanley 151 spokeshave in my SE-77, and mounted it on my T4. Everything works fine, with plenty of clearance. I don't have a smaller spokeshave, although I don't see a problem with a smaller blade.

I'm sure your Worksharp does a good job with initial bevels. I know that the Tormek does this well, also. I suggest that you try both methods.

Ken

Soapy

Quote from: Ken S on July 13, 2020, 10:16:02 PM
Follow up: Duplicating your question, I put the blade from my Stanley 151 spokeshave in my SE-77, and mounted it on my T4. Everything works fine, with plenty of clearance. I don't have a smaller spokeshave, although I don't see a problem with a smaller blade.

I'm sure your Worksharp does a good job with initial bevels. I know that the Tormek does this well, also. I suggest that you try both methods.

Ken

I have a T8.  The recommended jig for sharpening spokeshave blades is the trusty standby SVD-110.  However, I cannot find a combination of support height and tool rest (SVD-110) angle which allows me to grind a 25 degree bevel.  The adjustment knob on the tool rest fouls the stone before the correct angle is reached?  in the end I had to use the Knife jig (SVM-45)and was very careful to ensure that the blade stayed at right angles to the wheel.  The result was pretty good but I don't understand why the SVD-110 does not work?.  Has anyone else had this problem ??
⚓🚁🏎

Humans almost certainly do not have the capacity to discern true reality (a concept strongly reinforced by the other-worldly nature of the Westminster Bubble!)