News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Suggestion for water spillage

Started by John_B, May 03, 2021, 04:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_B

Periodically  I read about users that have issues with dripping and water spilling onto their work surface. one reason may be that you have the adjustable water trough too high. When i am starting with a dry wheel I will keep the trough as low as possible filling it until the wheel has absorbed most of what it can. I also try and keep the water at the guideline not above. Raising the trough only becomes necessary as the wheel diameter decreases.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

LarK

Do you have any good tips/mods for this issue? I have had this problem with a few longer knives, with spillage that drip just a little on the top of the machine and goes between the housing and the wheel going down the side and bypassing the watertrough. It's a bit annoying since the water collects in the Tormek rotating base and don't drain out.
Is there any good rubber edge that might fit the trough so more water can be collected from the side of the housing. I have also considered drilling draining holes in the rotatin base but would preferably like to avoid this  :-\

Kristian

jvh

Hello,

something like this? (Not my ideas, taken from CZ forum.)

jvh

LarK

That certainly looks like it will solve my issue  :)
Will try to mod something like this asap. Thank you for this tip!

Kristian

tgbto

For 3D print afficionados, the water tank is here

LarK

That is great! Really appreciate it  :)

Kristian

dusmif

peteseddon

I am tormek newbie - i bought a 1200 with 200mm wheel - can you fit later version water tray to 1200 ?  Also can you fit 250 stone ?

(sry if not posted in correct section) - pete seddon.

Ken S

Pete,

There are two series of Tormek models over the years, the models like your 1200 (including the T3 and T4), with 200mm diameter grinding wheels, and the models with 250mm grinding wheels. (T2000, T7, and T8).
The jigs and most of the accessories are interchangeable. The new water trough designs, unfortunately, only fit the larger, 250mm diameter models. The 200mm and 250mm grinding wheels do not interchange, either.

Regarding water spillage: I only pour enough water into the water trough to start the water flowing over the grinding wheel. Leave the motor running. the stone will keep absorbing water until it is saturated. This takes a minute or two. You should continue adding just enough water to keep the water just flowing over the stone.